self defence arms for raf bomber in 1977

Started by lenny100, February 23, 2011, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

if a new large bomber the british aerospace "Valkyrie" b1  joined the RAF in 1977 what self defence arms would it carry?
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

deathjester

If this is the N.A. Valkyrie, then it was supposed to have a 'Lenticular Defense Missile' system.

lenny100

no its something else but in the same class

sandiego89

I would say "none" if i am thinking about a very high speed bomber.  Limited to defensive countermeasures, ie jamming.  Speed would be the main defence.  If relegated to lower speeds a M-61 rotary cannon in the rear like the B-58 Hustler may be used. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

lenny100

this system has a cruse speed around M2 but need to slow to relese the payload to around m.85 so during this phase of the flight at high level it will be vunrable, low level operations are possable but at lower speed around m0.85 for most of the flight

pyro-manic

Why does it need to slow down to deploy the payload? This would be the most vulnerable part of the mission anyway (ie over hostile territory, with SAMs and fighters around) so slowing down seems like a very bad idea.

As for defensive weapons, I'd say a radar-controlled tail turret or a fistful of Taildog/SRAAM missiles - say six or eight, half to launch forwards from a weapons bay or underwing mountings, and half launching backwards from a cluster of launch tubes in the tail.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

JayBee

Lenny,

this wouldn't by any chance be a 1/72 at a very good price even if the box is a bit battered at Huddersfield type of thing?

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

lenny100

Hobbes

In real life, the UK only had Firestreak and Red Top in 1977. Cancelled projects that would fit are the radar-guided Red Top (Blue Dolphin or Blue Jay Mk. V) and SRAAM.

P1127

Quote from: Hobbes on February 24, 2011, 06:55:12 AM
In real life, the UK only had Firestreak and Red Top in 1977. Cancelled projects that would fit are the radar-guided Red Top (Blue Dolphin or Blue Jay Mk. V) and SRAAM.

There was also the AIM-9s and AIM-7s carried on the Phantoms.

I'm assuming we are talking a conversion of an Anglo-French airliner?
It's not an effing  jump jet.

GTX

I would have thought there would have been no self defence arms carried - i.e. same situation as with Vulcan etc.  If however, it was felt the defences opposing warranted it, then maybe SRAM or and Air-to-air equivalent?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

I suppose another option is something along the lines of the Grumman missile system proposed for the Seamaster.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 27, 2011, 03:29:38 PM
I suppose another option is something along the lines of the Grumman missile system proposed for the Seamaster.

I always liked the idea of the Bushfire system, and I was surprised it wasn't adopted for the B-52 or B-58, but perhaps the 'Gun Lobby' was too strong.

Or the fact that it was originally destined for a 'NAVY' aircraft (perish the very thought....) counted against it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Or it may be that they thought/knew that the mass-to-kill ratio for the M-61 Vulcan was better than for the Bushfire missile system.

If so, then the M-61 Vulcan could either carry more defensive kills per fixed mass or the same number of kills for a lower mass.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est