Inspiration, Sign-up & Help Thread

Started by ChernayaAkula, February 24, 2011, 02:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

This thread is for inspirational purposes - both to inspire as well as to be inspired. Have you built something with an African background? Show it!  :thumbsup: Have you made some profiles or written a story that fits the theme? Post it!  :thumbsup:

This thread can also  be used to "sign-up". Signing-up is NOT necessary, but you can post here what you intend to build.

This thread is also supposed to be a place to ask for help! This includes looking for certain decals, assorted bits'n'bobs or general advice you want to have squared away before starting your in-progress thread. This help thread is a community effort, so everyone's help is welcome. Rules questions (Is X illegible? Is idea Y covered by rule Z?) go in the Rules Thread.

---
Signed-up:

- beowulf: something Royal South African Air Force, of Russian or Japanese origin
- Daryl J.: Kinetic S-2F  Tracker, Anti Truckster, Pharonic Illuminant Services, 1950's-1970's
- Daryl J.:Tamiya Macchi MC.200, 1950's-1970's. country/circumstances entirely fictional
- pyro-maniac: Scrapyard diorama - a long-forgotten Bf-109 on a railway wagon, in bits with parts missing
- pyro-maniac: Bush War F-84G - battered and patched-up, markings to be determined, camouflaged with ground attack weapons
- pyro-maniac: Bush War L-29 Delfin - very battered and well-worn machine, with ground attack weapons
- pyro-maniac: Gun bus! - Ural 4320 truck, with bodged armour and lots of guns, battered and worn
- pyro-maniac: Re.2000 - less likely, but post-colonial Somalian, Libyan or Ethiopian
- pyro-maniac: Vickers Vimy, 1920s, either RAF (Kenya?) or a privately-run Cairo to Cape Town racer
- Nils: Hawk T.1, as a South African Single seat light attack aircraft
- Nils: 1/144 Morrocan Jaguar-A
- Taiidantomcat: pair of Tomcats
- puddingwrestler: something with prawns
- Luis Almeida: Portuguese Grumman F9F-8 Cougar in Mozambique
- Daryl J.: Fokker D.VII
- Daryl J.:F9F-5P

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

beowulf

i intend on joining in if i can.......got a few things in the pipeline that i need to finish first

but if i do it will be Royal South African Air Force..............it will probably be of Russian origin......or maybe Japanese  :unsure:...not decided yet...need to find some paint too   :-\
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

ChernayaAkula

The original thread discussing a possible Africa GB can be found >>HERE<<.

Some real world looks at the subject at hand:
(you could, of course, also redraw the maps (figuratively speaking) and invent your own countries)

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

I have at least six builds planned for this! How many I actually get done remains to be seen, but these are my ideas:

• Scrapyard diorama - a long-forgotten Bf-109 on a railway wagon, in bits with parts missing. Paint faded almost to white, much chipping, tarp over the canopy, no engine, etc. Using the 109 remains from my Fw190E build last year and some OO railway bits.
  • Bush War F-84G - a battered and patched-up Thunderjet, in markings to be determined, but camouflaged with ground attack weapons. Heller kit.
  • Bush War L-29 Delfin - as for the F-84, a very battered and well-worn machine, with ground attack weapons. Again, markings to be confirmed (possibly fictional country).
  • Gun bus! - Ural 4320 truck, with bodged armour and lots of guns. Again, battered and worn. ICM kit.
  • Re.2000 - less likely, but post-colonial Somalian, Libyan or Ethiopian if I get round to it.
  • Vickers Vimy - 1920s I think - either RAF (Kenya?) for bashing the upstart natives, or a privately-run Cairo to Cape Town racer. Old Frog kit.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Ed S

Here's some African themed WHIFF's. 

First is an Egyptian Do-335 (old Royal AF) markings.  Using the old Lindberg Do335 kit in 1/72.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/esveum/100_6102.jpg[/img]]

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/esveum/100_6098.jpg[/img]]

Here is a F7F given the COIN treatment similar to the A-26 Counterinvader.  It also has the color and markings of an A-26 that flew in the Congo in the mid-60's.  This is the Monogram F7F in 1/72.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/esveum/100_4239.jpg[/img]]

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/esveum/100_4240.jpg[/img]]

And finally, a Vichy French Focke-Wolf TL Flitzer fighting rebels in North Africa.  The Revell Flitzer in 1/72.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/esveum/100_6169.jpg[/img]]

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/esveum/100_6166.jpg[/img]]

Ed

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Spey_Phantom

i want in to  ;D

i got plenty African nations decals and aircraft.
ive been playing arround with a idea for a Libyan Hawk T.1, but with the current situation there being a bit sensitive, i think im gonna build it as a South African Single seat light attack aircraft (similar to the Impala).
i was also planning a 1/144 Morrocan Jaguar-A strike aircraft. i got some Libyan and Angolan decals left from a mastercraft SU-22, might lookin the stash for a fitting aircraft to go with them  :mellow:

i build a Libyan SU-35 in 1/144 some time back, but i cant find the pics on Photobucket atm  :-\
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

A pair of Tomcats, one from the west the other from the east side of the curtain. Hoping to get a third build in as well but it will be time permitting... Off to work on them now!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Old Wombat

Well, I started these builds too early because I was hoping to get a job that would take me out of circulation for a while (good money) but that's fallen through :banghead:....

Oh, well, maybe they'll inspire someone else here. :thumbsup:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,31609.0.html
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

pyro-manic

I'd say get them moved over - they look excellent, and I don't think anyone would object. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Old Wombat

We-ell, if friend ChernayaAkula wants to do that, I certainly wouldn't complain.

However, I assuredly wouldn't ask him to break the rules, either, & the rules definitely state that builds should not have been started to any significant extent prior to 25 Feb, which mine most definitely were.

ChernayaAkula

Hmmm, I'm afraid they're without a doubt too far along to be considered as builds for the Group Build, but they are very welcome as inspiration for further armour builds. If you want to post some pics of your LAV once they're completed in this thread for inspirational purposes, please do so.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Old Wombat

Fine by me. ;D

Anyone know anyone who can print decent decals? :unsure:

'Coz I'm pretty-much stuck where I am until I can get my decals done. :banghead:

Luis Almeida

I intent to join with a Portuguese Grumman F9F-8 Cougar in based in Mozambique during the war in the colonies, if you all agree  ;D

saintkatanalegacy

somebody should do profiles of my choppers :smiley:
Ivylicious!™