Fairey Gannet

Started by Mossie, February 26, 2011, 05:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Thanks for your input and offer of help Alastair. they are quite wee. I guess in a whif world one could make them bigger and drop somat on somebody  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Perhaps the small doors enable disposal of natural bodily functions ? We are talking about the ROYAL navy here  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

lol you never know Chris !

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

RAFF-35

This has probably been suggested already, but what about a COIN variant? Similar to a skyraider or perhaps even more modern like an ov-10 or something?  :lol: probs based on the aew.3 so there's less spinal surgery
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie

QuoteThere was a follow on project, the Fairey Strike Fighter:
That looks nice, and it also looks to be piston driven (the exhaust stacks): I'm thinking that could inspire a couple of cool ideas

• 1. Blackburn Firebrand Alternate: Remove inlines, put a single radial up front
  • 2a. Mid-Engine Layout (Inline): Move the two inlines, or replace with suitable single powerful inline; reposition to the mid-fuselage section; clean-up the nose a bit
  • 2b. Mid-Engine Layout (Radial): Move radial engine to mid-mounted position, feed with intakes in wing-root a'la the XP-56
Was there any figures that specified the projected length/span for that idea?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

RAFF-35

Surely plugging in a double mamba would be the way to go?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: RAFF-35 on November 16, 2015, 12:27:53 AM

Nah, that's a silly idea................  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on November 15, 2015, 02:39:23 PM
Mossie

QuoteThere was a follow on project, the Fairey Strike Fighter:
That looks nice, and it also looks to be piston driven (the exhaust stacks): I'm thinking that could inspire a couple of cool ideas

• 1. Blackburn Firebrand Alternate: Remove inlines, put a single radial up front
  • 2a. Mid-Engine Layout (Inline): Move the two inlines, or replace with suitable single powerful inline; reposition to the mid-fuselage section; clean-up the nose a bit
  • 2b. Mid-Engine Layout (Radial): Move radial engine to mid-mounted position, feed with intakes in wing-root a'la the XP-56
Was there any figures that specified the projected length/span for that idea?

Number 1 pretty much returns the design to the Spearfish, with a slightly lower wing. Numbers 2 & 3 are interesting redesigns.  I'll have a look and see if I can dig out the specs for the Strike Fighter.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 16, 2015, 02:53:03 AM

Sure I've seen something like that in my references somewhere.... ;) ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

RAFF-35

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 16, 2015, 02:53:03 AM

What was I thinking??  It should be powered by 50,000 harnessed pigeons  ;)

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie

QuoteI'll have a look and see if I can dig out the specs for the Strike Fighter.
Thanks
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Mossie

Looking at the entry for the Fairey Strike Fighter, there were several variants studied over a period of about three years.  I believe the image above is of 'Project A' with twin Merlins, there was a slightly larger 'Project B' with Griffons and a few versions with a proposed Rolls Royce AP.25 turboprop.  Project A and B were found to be inferior to the Westland Wyvern and the project was eventually cancelled, but was dusted off to provide the basis for the Gannet.

Project A:
Span: 49ft 0in (14.9m) Length 40ft 4in (12.3m) Powerplant: 2x Merlin RM.14.SM 4,400hp total

Project B:
Span: 52ft 4in (16.0m) Length 42ft 9in (13.0m) Powerplant: 2x Griffon RG.25.SM 5,230hp total

Fairey Strike Fighter at 13/11/45:
Span: 51ft 0in(15.5m) Length 44ft 7in (13.6m) Powerplant: 2x AP.25 2,517hp plus 1,015hp each

Fairey Strike Aircraft at 10/12/45:
Span: 46ft 0in(14.0m) Length 44ft 7in (13.6m) Powerplant: 2x AP.25 2,517hp plus 1,015hp each
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie

QuoteI believe the image above is of 'Project A' with twin Merlins, there was a slightly larger 'Project B' with Griffons and a few versions with a proposed Rolls Royce AP.25 turboprop.  Project A and B were found to be inferior to the Westland Wyvern and the project was eventually cancelled, but was dusted off to provide the basis for the Gannet.
I'm curious about something: Would it be possible to use a V-3420 or R-4360?

Mossie

Possibly, although a single engined aircraft  would be considerably lower in total power than the proposals above.  A twin engine layout would need quite a bit of redesign to fit the larger powerplant.

KJ_Lesnick

Mossie

QuotePossibly, although a single engined aircraft  would be considerably lower in total power than the proposals above.
Did this design have a bomb-bay or not?

Mossie

No, one centreline store for a torpedo or 2,000lb bomb, one under each wing for a 1,000 bomb.