GASSP Meteor

Started by The Rat, March 01, 2011, 08:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Posted this not long after I first joined the board, but now the thread is gone. Anyway, realised that since I have a possibly suitable airframe in the stash I might as well start up this project again:

As I understand it, the Meteor NF11/12/14 series was basically a Meteor IV with an extended nose. So, I trim a scale 1.5 metres off my Matchbox NF and then perform the other mods seen in the illustration. This gives Gloster a shot at breaking the sound barrier in a level-flight jet before anyone else. (I won't steal Yeager's thunder by going for the full monty. ;D)  Might have to come up with some other aerodynamic or engine mods for this plane to be successful (where's Evan when we need him? :unsure:), but it looks like a fun project. I tinkered with the idea of having it air-launched from a Lancaster, but that would mean building another model and I'm too lazy for that.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

chrisonord

Looking at the pic, it looks kinda Soviet looking, but in a good way :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

The nightfighters were a cross between a T.7 and a Mk.8 and an extended nose for the radar dish
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

There were a few different lengths of nose as well, IIRC.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Cobra

Cool. has a bit of 'Thunderbirds' Flavor to it! Can't wait to see more. Dan

kitnut617

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 01, 2011, 09:53:56 AM
There were a few different lengths of nose as well, IIRC.

There was a difference between the Mk.11 and Mk.12, but John Adams (Aeroclub owner) had discovered that the Mk.14 had the same nose as the Mk.12 and not the extra elongated nose that comes in the Matchbox kit for the Mk.14.  What gives it the extra long look to the nose is actually the shorter and steeper windscreen the canopy has on the Mk.14.

The Mk.13 was a Mk.11 with wider air intakes on the nacelles.

Weaver

Nice project - you could fit it with simple afterburner can for a bit more oomph.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

Just wait till our resident Meteor butcher sees this lol
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Rat

Okay, as noted in my blog, this one is back on the bench. And it may be off the bench very quickly, because I went like a madman yesterday! Threw caution to the wind and just started hacking and glueing, and may have it all done in a couple of days. Base kit is the venerable Airfix MkIII.

The design has been modified radically, for two reasons: First, it's a lot easier on me! Second, it would also be a lot easier on the original design team, and the original picture I put up may be reincarnated as a second generation experimental, when I have the time. So here's the GASSP MkI:

Yep, just get rid of the inner wing panels, and that will be the only major external change. Also I'm leaving off the rear nozzles to shorten the tail-pipe, no light on the underside of the port wing, and no dorsal aerial. Pitot tube may be moved, not sure. Internally it would have Derwent Vs, which greatly increased the thrust of the original powerplant. It would also have reduced landing gear, possibly a skid, and would take off from a trolley, or perhaps be carried aloft by a modified Lincoln. Haven't really decided yet, but in the modeling sense it's moot because this is going to be in in-flight example. Here's the work so far, sharp-eyed viewers will notice that in my haste to get pictures the wings are upside down, no big deal as the haven't been glued on yet, nor the empennage. The wing root curvature on the Airfix design almost matches the curve of the engine nacelle, making the joint a bit easier than you would think, should need a minimum of sanding to get a good mate.

The pilot is wearing the white coveralls used by many British test pilots, not your standard RAF uniform. Colour scheme will be high-viz, possibly red with perhaps some banding. Not sure whether to apply roundels or just a number.

The story will delve into some aerodynamic issues, but not enough to prevent the aircraft from only just pipping the Bell X-1 at being the first aircraft to go supersonic in level flight.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Looks slightly reminiscent to the Gloster Ace (E.1/44) Dave ---

Captain Canada

Looks cute like that ! Probably not the look you're looking for tho...... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Rod Ulrich of IPMS Farnborough (and someone who really should be a member of this SIG/forum) got a silver in the What If? category at Scale Model World this weekend with a Sea Meteor that does exactly the same with the engines.  Photo to follow.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 11, 2013, 10:37:05 AM
Looks slightly reminiscent to the Gloster Ace (E.1/44) Dave ---

Two engines, would our transatlantic bretheren refer to it as the Gloster Deuce?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Father Ennis

Yep !!!   Something like that anyway but not something that would get past the censors on here !!!  LOL !!!    :thumbsup:

rickshaw

You might need to fair over the space between the fuselage and the engine nacelles to prevent aerodynamic interaction between the two at high speed.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.