G

Next Project

Started by Geoff_B, May 31, 2004, 02:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

Cheers Gary

but i think your 1/48 examples are more ambitious. !!!! Hmmn, you could try this one in 1/48 using the larger heller kit as a basis ? <_<  :D  :D  :D  

John Howling Mouse

"We're not   w o r t h y y y y!"

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Woah....that's awesome ! One big M-n-Fing bird ! What will be powering the beast ?

That first pic looks alot like a TU-22M !  cool !

You're definatley our scratchbuilding King, and I think you should hold a clinic for us wannabe's !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

Erm Cheers guys

All you really need is the drawings and some prototype photos or similar to get the feel for the thing. This one used the Drawings and model shots out of BSP:Bombers by Tony Buttler together with a bit in Project Cancelled. Once i scalled the plans up the nearest match was a Heller Mirage IV, just needed a 2cm fuselage plug and new nose cone and the lower fuselage beefing up. the rear engine sides were built out slightly for the flair of area rule. The Canopy and spine were replaced by a modified F-4 canopy and a cut down drop tank. Wings & Tail surfaces are scratch built using lamintaed plastic card.

Just need to sand doen the wing seams and clean up the detail then look at whats going to be suitable for an U/C.

Cheers

Thor
B)  

F-32

Oh, thats ALL you need to do, for a minute there I was scared there would be some modeling skill involved ^_^  

Aircav

Looks great geoff  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

retro_seventies

*.....*

speechless mate.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Geoff_B

QuoteOh, thats ALL you need to do, for a minute there I was scared there would be some modeling skill involved 

Well Tony, obviously a bit of skill is required but it ain't as hard as many seem to think. If you can do scratch build sor done resin conversions then you'll be aware of the heavy duty modelling required. This is just the same except some parts we create ourselves (in my case out of bits of plastic).

Hopefully now Joes back and around he might put some photos of the original FD-III master and the resin copies on the board. I know has had had to amend it as he has been lucky enougth to have access to a builders model and thus get a better insight to the shape and feel of the aircraft.

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Aircav

Do you ever get the feeling that somebody use to watch Blue Peter when they were a kid  ;)  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

and *actually made* all the stuff they showed you!  :P  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

'Take 2 washing up liquid bottles and a roll of sticky backed plasic..........'
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff_B

Quoteand *actually made* all the stuff they showed you! 

Actually i never did any of the Blue Peter stuff, the scratch building comes from being a ship modeller using a scale that only had a small range. As a result i started doing conversions to match the updated ships, then kit bashes to create other classes and finally scratch building to create new ships.

Therefore i got used to laminating plastic card then sawing, carving, filling & sanding to get the required shapes. Just a case of applying those skill to the different shapes required for 1/72 aircraft.

Wings are constucted of different sizes of plastic card laminated together, fuselages use a mixture of kits parts or anything suitable to to create a basis to build upon (Can't do solid fuselages as they get a bit heavy and no place to weight them !!!)

Well Joe's had a look so it looks like i'll have to do another fuselage incorporating the lessons i learned from this one. Simpler cockpit, new spine seperate intakes etc to minimise the problems when casting it.

Hmmn the 1125 might be next on the list using a set of 1121 wing and a shorter fuselage <_<

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

NARSES2

I'm in awe of your skills Geoff  :o  :o

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff_B

Hi

Just a quick update, as you can see the 1129 is structurally complete, awaiting priming for defects before the search for a U/C commences.
In the meantime i have started its little older brother the Hawker 1125 itself derived from the 1121 program.

The 1125 utilises the Mirage IV fuselage, narrowed, the nose cone is from a Typhoon and the lower fuselage has been replaced. Wings & tail surfaces are from resin copies of the 1121 (thanx Wooks). Just to fit the spine for the canopy and sort out the Intakes & exhausts

Cheers

Thor B)  

Geoff_B

BTW Next up will be a 2nd 1129 fuselage and wings for resin clonning at some later date.

G B)