whacky Locomotives etc (real & steam-punk)

Started by raafif, March 06, 2011, 06:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 07, 2022, 08:15:35 PM

Railways models enthusiasts are very lucky: they are supplied with wonderful models, already done and funtional. :rolleyes: <_< ...
Quite expensive too. :-\

But they can still be Whiffed, as can all good models.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 08, 2022, 03:16:49 AM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 07, 2022, 08:15:35 PM

Railways models enthusiasts are very lucky: they are supplied with wonderful models, already done and funtional. :rolleyes: <_< ...
Quite expensive too. :-\

But they can still be Whiffed, as can all good models.  ;D

Hear hear!

I am investigating a "Project Cancelled" steam train to build. A Decapod, otherwise known as a Class A55 which had a 0-10-0 layout. If..... and at the moment its a very big if, I manage to get information which allows me to build one it would turn a few heads.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

ysi_maniac

Grosser Junge

What if Big Boy config was applied to german BR42?

Top, BigBoy; center, Grosser Junge; and bottom, BR-42

PR19_Kit

Like something Herr Hitler would have specified.  ;)

Impressive nonetheless.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

One vision of Soviet Atomic Train. See track gauge :o :blink:

ysi_maniac

This different design is marked as Soviet Atomic Train too. Track gauge looks huge, only two floors, ... but those rods connecting wheels looks steam. ???

ysi_maniac

US Atomic Train ... doable IMO, at least for whiffers. :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 17, 2022, 12:53:44 AM
This different design is marked as Soviet Atomic Train too. Track gauge looks huge, only two floors, ... but those rods connecting wheels looks steam. ???

Nuclear reactors produce steam, so it's possible this was a direct-drive design. The other method (reactor->steam turbine->generator->electric motors) is more complex.

ysi_maniac

Comparing X12 with Big Boy

Perhaps some of you can help me:

1. I assume X12 is an articulated locomotive. In this drawing I see just an articulation between main locomotive and the cooling car.

2. Is it possible for head piece to be supported by three bogies? Should it be another articulation? Where? ahead control area? Between control area and the reactor?

3. What is the steam generator in control area? Is it the generator to heat the train (mentioned in text)?

Thank you in advance.

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on June 17, 2022, 03:43:40 AM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 17, 2022, 12:53:44 AM

Nuclear reactors produce steam, so it's possible this was a direct-drive design. The other method (reactor->steam turbine->generator->electric motors) is more complex.
Mechanically a steam turbine-generator system is less complex.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 28, 2022, 09:59:07 AM

Perhaps some of you can help me:

1. I assume X12 is an articulated locomotive. In this drawing I see just an articulation between main locomotive and the cooling car.

2. Is it possible for head piece to be supported by three bogies? Should it be another articulation? Where? ahead control area? Between control area and the reactor?

3. What is the steam generator in control area? Is it the generator to heat the train (mentioned in text)?

1. It looks like that, yes. The reactor is so heavy that it supported on two span bolsters, each one of which is supported on two bogies. Then the condenser car is trailing along behind with its rear end supported on a fifth, solo bogie.

2. It's not on three bogies, it's on four, as explained above.

3. Quite possible and very common in the 40s - 60s. Steam heating for the passenger cars was the most common method then, even when diesels came along, many of them had steam heating boilers installed.

Regards
Kit

scooter

Ya know, I'd hate to see one of those derail.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Too true, re-railing a normal loco is difficult enough, let alone an articulated!

Don't ask me how I know this................

Regards
Kit

zenrat

All the lead you'd have to wear wouldn't help.

On a similar note, does anyone make British Nuclear Fuels flask train wagons in OO or HO?
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..