Started by McColm, March 09, 2011, 04:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

McColm

DarrenP

McColm

PR19_Kit

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's for the very thought of a tanker Beverley. They flew so slowly that the only aircraft in the RAF they could refuel would have been the single or Twin Pioneers!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GeorgeC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 17, 2015, 11:48:36 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's for the very thought of a tanker Beverley. They flew so slowly that the only aircraft in the RAF they could refuel would have been the single or Twin Pioneers!  ;D

I was told a story of a Beverley airdropping a Saladin armoured car or some similar heavy load.  Rear doors off, close to max weight and off from Abingdon to Stamford Training Area on a bit of a blustery day.  They make good progress with the tail wind, which picks up as they go so the drop is cancelled.  Incredible as it may seem, it is possible to reduce the aerodynamic efficiency of a Beverley by removing the doors, and the with the now very-strong head wind and not having dropped the load progress is slow.  When the captain asked the nav for an ETA to Benson there was furious calculation and recalculation until the answer comes back 'Boss, we're stationary...'   

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GeorgeC on January 17, 2015, 12:11:56 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was told a story of a Beverley airdropping a Saladin armoured car or some similar heavy load.  Rear doors off, close to max weight and off from Abingdon to Stamford Training Area on a bit of a blustery day.  They make good progress with the tail wind, which picks up as they go so the drop is cancelled.  Incredible as it may seem, it is possible to reduce the aerodynamic efficiency of a Beverley by removing the doors, and the with the now very-strong head wind and not having dropped the load progress is slow.  When the captain asked the nav for an ETA to Benson there was furious calculation and recalculation until the answer comes back 'Boss, we're stationary...'   

Hehehe love it!  ;D

I can well believe that having spent some hours in the hold of various Beverley's in my youth. Without the doors, an essential step if any heavy drops were to take place, and even with the deflectors installed the turbulence in the rear 10 ft of the hold was unbelievable. It was mandatory to wear a harness and a safety strap if you were doing anything down there, like throwing out the pilot chute prior to a heavy drop.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lol :thumbsup:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Rheged

1920's attempt to keep fighters on patrol or to fly them out to outposts of the Empire. A Vimy or Victoria dangling a hose with a tap on the end.  Bristol Fighter or DH 9 A  sideslips in underneath and the observer refills the tanks.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Spey_Phantom

sone years ago, there was a proposal/offering from Israeli Aircraft Industries to convert a number of used Boeing 737's into small low-cost tactical tankers. ive been playing with the idea for some time now and im thinking of converting a revell 1/144 boeing 737-800 into such a tanker. giving the size of the aircraft, and the structural integrity, my guess is the proposal was for a 2 or 3-point hose & drogue tanker.

also, some time ago, BAe Systems offered a tanker version of the BAe146, mostly offering the conversion for used airframes.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dsei-bae-146-offered-as-tactical-air-to-air-refueller-390417/

also, Russia recently ordered 2 tanker versions of the Ilyushin IL-96 Camber, the IL-96-400VT.
i dont know what the advantages are of the IL-96 compared to the IL-78 (or updated IL-478). but its great to see Russia keeping an open mind when it comes to potential tanker platforms.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/il-96-400v.htm

there was also a tanker version of the C-17 in the videogame Ace Combat 3 (EK-17B, with a flying boom system)

http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/C-17B_Globemaster_IV

Large Image

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nils on January 18, 2015, 11:16:32 AM
there was also a tanker version of the C-17 in the videogame Ace Combat 3 (EK-17B, with a flying boom system)

http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/C-17B_Globemaster_IV

Large Image

That C-17 is about to suffer a major failure of its mainspar. The engine's exhausts are in the MIDDLE of the wing!

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Nice story about the beverly !

I have a half built Tracker COD type that was going to have a pallet for AAR.

I think that BAe 146 idea is a good one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

I've started to build a Lockheed Constellation tanker with the flying boom and two hose & drogue refuelling pods.
Instead of the four compound turbo engines normally found on a EC-121L,  this model retains the two inner engines and has four jet engines,  two where the outer engines would have been.
Not too keen on an all metal finish as used on the KC-97G /KC-97L.

McColm

The Avro Lancastrian was used as an in-flight refueling tanker and so too was the Avro Lincolnian although they never entered service in this role.
So in theory the Avro Shackleton could be converted into a tanker either the Mk2 or Mk3 with a pair of C-130 refueling pods.
It just so happens that I have the Attack Squadron 1/72 KC-130J set in the stash.
I did attempt to build a Lockheed Neptune tanker with a flying boom and deeper fuselage tank similar to the fire/water bomber. I think that I will stick with the pods next time.

Spey_Phantom

after reading about Russia's deal for buying 2 IL-96-400TZ tanker aircraft, i was thinking about a similar tanker conversion of the IL-86 Camber.
perhaps as a 3-piont tanker, using the systems from the IL-78 Midas.  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.