aircraft out of their depth

Started by McColm, March 09, 2011, 06:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi,
This link is for all you Whiffs and whiffets to give you inspiration on your next project. Whilst surfing the web I came across this pic of a C-17 landing on an aircraft carrier. I can't prove if it is real or been doctored for the shot, but could be interesting as a model to build.
Basicaly this page is for aircraft performing other duties other than there normal role.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

frank2056

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 09, 2011, 06:41:10 AM
Faked. Definitely.

Absolutely, and an amateurish Photoshop job at that:

1- Sun is coming from the upper right on the carrier (look at the crewman's shadow) but from the upper left on the C-17.
2- Why would there be so much dust on a carrier deck? And why would the dust cloud have such sharp edges?
3- A C-17 is not 10 feet or so tall.

But the idea is a good one. A real world example would be a DC-3 being used as a bomber or a gunship, or a Cessna 152 being used as a ground attack aircraft (the passenger shooting out the door with a .22 rifle?)

raafif

yes, very poor attempt -- just compare with the real photos of a Herc doing the rounds off a carrier.  That C-17 looks like its gonna lose a wing to the tower if it doesn't continue down thru the deck first !
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

McColm

Rheged

Didn't a Shackleton crew once  scare the living daylights out of an American carrier by joining in the circuit with their wheels dangling and following  a USN Greyhound  on its approach . Rumour has it that  there was shouting, tumult and widespread nausea  as Flyco debated if he really meant it. Eventually he was waved off as "TOO LOW"   Carrier then radioed the Shack, which continued to circle, to ask if he really meant it.  Quote...you guys are wild enough to do anything...and since you invented the carrier in the first place........" unquote
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

Yeah, it's definately someone having a laugh, there's a pic of the original photo on Finescale modeler:
http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/p/1414/10511.aspx
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Rumours of buccaneeers flying under bridges, and electricity pylons. typical scots, the Shack I can believe that. If they got the all clear to land, they would have done it. Pity they weren't flying the MK3s, the jets would have impressed the Navy.

RLBH

Quote from: McColm on March 10, 2011, 06:08:04 AM
Rumours of buccaneeers flying under bridges, and electricity pylons. typical scots, the Shack I can believe that. If they got the all clear to land, they would have done it. Pity they weren't flying the MK3s, the jets would have impressed the Navy.
Actually, the version I heard had it being a Mark 3, with all four props feathered and flying on jets only. The reaction of the USN carrier crew to encountering what is to all intents and purposes a Lancaster, in the Western Approaches, in the 1960s, with (apparently) all its' engines stopped can only be imagined.

Steel Penguin

thats a mental image that i wish had a photo.... it must have been both amazing and terrifying
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

jcf

Here is one full version of the Shack story:
http://www.maturetimes.co.uk/node/2793

Mildly amusing but unlikely.

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 10, 2011, 12:49:01 PM

Not kidding: how well do you think a 70,000lb (?) Shackleton flies on two sub-3000lb thrust Vipers?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on March 10, 2011, 02:34:59 PM

Not kidding: how well do you think a 70,000lb (?) Shackleton flies on two sub-3000lb thrust Vipers?

A bit conservative there Weaver, max TOW is 86,000 lbs
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 10, 2011, 02:52:34 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 10, 2011, 02:34:59 PM

A bit conservative there Weaver, max TOW is 86,000 lbs

Yeah, but they don't always take off at MTO and after a long mission it'd be lighter.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones