BAC LIGHTNING 2000 - Lightning mix with Tornado

Started by G.Marcat, March 09, 2011, 12:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

That has a very Russian look about it at the moment

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

G.Marcat

Quote from: Gondor on May 23, 2011, 11:58:06 AM
That has a very Russian look about it at the moment

Gondor

Really... it look like a 50/60 Russian prototype. I don't like how it look now. On the other hand it look too much near to a F-86D SABRE.... I completely mishaped the upper part of the windshield- radome zone.

If the Lightning Airfix should be not so difficult to find and overpriced the my idea was to build another Lightning,  to cut it's original front part and to throw away  the Russian style nose at the purpose of to restore a more conventional LIGHTNINGish look.

arkon

the plastic gods demand sacrifice

G.Marcat

Good news.. (Or at least I think this).

As said before the nose taken from the Tornado ADV applied to the my Lightning 2K was totally out of place. The my Lightning look like a Mig prototype.

This afternoon a surgical operation has been done: I have replaced the resin ADV nose with a more pleasantly shaped radome taken from a 1/48 Italeri's TORNADO IDS.

Now the Lightning 2K like to me a little more.
The hard part now will be to level the edges of the new nose to the front fuselage but I have solved more of worst in the past.

Eddie M.

I had to do the same thing with a past build. I cut a section out of the nose that looked like a thin wedge from the back of the cone to the point. Closed the top and bottom, a little putty and it worked quite well. Looking forward to more of your work. :)
Look behind you!

G.Marcat

After months of static in the past days I have sprayed a layer of Tamiya Primer in the zone where I did modifications.
As result I saw a lot of defects in the frontal zone where I did the more big number of works.

Today applied a lot of putty on the frontal zone to remedy all the spots and ridges.

I hope of to tame all these imperfections very fastly because the model is arrived at a good point.

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

G.Marcat

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on September 11, 2011, 11:21:37 AM
Impressive perseverance!

despite the my perseverance, "the Lightning 2k" has been going really slow...

upnorth

That thing has "Sukhoi" written all over it!

It really looks like some of the one offs they produced in the Su-7/9/11/17/20/22 lineage.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Old Wombat

I keep getting an odd sense of P-40 every time I see that front quarter shot. :blink:

Weird, really. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

James

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 12, 2011, 09:42:32 AM
I keep getting an odd sense of P-40 every time I see that front quarter shot. :blink:

Weird, really. :-\

:lol: I know what you mean.

G.Marcat

The last two days put the hands on the Lightning 2K.

In the beginning rescribed completely the front of the kit as all the lines has gone lost.
Today managed to solve the issue related to the front wheel bay.

This was the hole of the front wheel bay this morning:

I have Super-glued a piece of plasticard in place:

and then smoothed the zone:

As usual, having done a mistake sanding the zone covered with putty, I have corrected this mistake applying a piece of ultra thin plasticard side to side:

Now I will cut out in the plasticard the wheel bay slot as in the original LIGHTNING.

This is how appear the air intake modified from me:

And this image show how appearn the rear fuselage looking from above now that I have glued two horizontal ailerons:

Another pair of works and the my Lightning 2K will be ready for the paint.

G.Marcat

Works on the front wheel bay PART 2:

Using 2 strips of Dymo tape and the Tamiya Panel Scriber:

this is the final result:

This image show the entire work done today:

tc2324

Love the look of this. Excellent work so far. :thumbsup:   (even if it is slow and a right pain in the bum...! :lol:)
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!