BAC LIGHTNING 2000 - Lightning mix with Tornado

Started by G.Marcat, March 09, 2011, 12:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

I'm liking the ideas being thrown around here! :thumbsup:

I especially like the wide F-86D type intake idea but more-so the chin & shoulder intakes of Weaver's design but keeping the rest more traditionally BAC Lightning...

...or, possibly that but with a high-mounted wing, so that the shoulder intakes are under the wing?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

G.Marcat

In the last week done something to bring forward the Lightning 2K.

This is the base kit:

Using the old ESCI TORNADO 1/48 as donor:

I had  took from it the VERTICAL TAIL ASSEMBLY:

After to have glued the two halves together I cut and sand the ECM blisters and the front air intake to "CLEAN" the shape of the tail.

G.Marcat

The LIGHTNING's wheels on the main undercarriage  are  a little too small frontal section... A modern version of the Lightning must have a little more big tires.

Taken the Airfix half wheels  and glued on a piece of plasticard of around  1,5 millimeters:

As the glue went dry I raw cut the shape of the wheels from the plasticard:

Carefully sanded the  plasticard at wheel level and then glued together the two modified  half wheels with the original half wheels.
This has given to  me  a little more wide tire:

More in the next days.

Devilfish

Would a modern Lightning not need RWR?

And I hate to ask, but where do you plan on putting those wheels?

G.Marcat

Quote from: Devilfish on March 17, 2011, 02:17:45 AM
Would a modern Lightning not need RWR?

And I hate to ask, but where do you plan on putting those wheels?

The plan is of to add a bulge on the top of the wing.

About the RWR: I could to add something later, but different from the shape of the Tornado's RWR.

Devilfish

Fair enough.  Was just a bit worried when I saw those "Carlos Fandango" superwide wheels and the very thin wing...

G.Marcat

Quote from: Devilfish on March 17, 2011, 05:25:59 AM
Fair enough.  Was just a bit worried when I saw those "Carlos Fandango" superwide wheels and the very thin wing...

The idea for the wing fairing is copied from the fairing you see on the PHANTOM's wing root (F-4C/D/E).
I think to add at the top of the wing a drop shaped fairing made with a 1.5/2 millimetres plasticard.

MTV please pimp my Lightning!

McColm

Airfix are bringing out their new retooled 1/48 Lightning as well as the tornado F3 in 1/72.

G.Marcat

this is a fast update of the things done the last seven days:

The enlarged wheels:

And some internal parts painted:

Captain Canada

Looking good. Beefing up the wheels was a good idea.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

Good stuff so far. I like the cleaned-up Tonka fin - that will look very good on the Frightning. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

G.Marcat

Hello, I'm proceeding slowly but however I'm bringing forward the Lightning 2000 everyday.

The last two days I have taken the decision of which shape to give at wings.

Delta? Variable Geometry? What?

Finally, this is the chosen scheme:

As you can see it's a simple design. The originals wings have been moved few meters/feets more toward the center of the fuselage!!! Coupled with the shape of the horizontal tailplanes this change radically the view from above.

G.Marcat

New work done:

Completed the cockpit tub and the modified instrument panel, painted the MB Mk10 resin seat, painting the wheels and other undercarriages parts:

Now it's time to modify the exhaust nozzle's zone.
Removed the shaped finger between the two exhaust's barrells:

Modified the two exhausts from the Italeri's Tornado and taken away the last part from the nozzle, so typical of the RB-199 engines.

And this is the modified exhaust:

The impression is that the Lightning now have installed the Tornados RB-199 engines!!!

McColm