Main Menu

Kitbash of the Century GB

Started by Weaver, March 11, 2011, 04:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Yes I know we've got a surfeit of GB ideas, but I had to nail this one to the screen while it was in my head. I was playing with an idea that included parts from several Century Series fighters and I got to thinking "what if you included ALL the Century Series?". After a bit more thought, I decided to soften that a bit since some of them are only available as rare and expensive kits.

So, here are some rules for discussion. I think this needs fairly tight rules, otherwise it just becomes a "build almost anything you want" GB:

1. Entries to this GB must be composed of parts from several of the USAF's "Century Series" fighters. For the purposes of this GB, the Century Series is defined as: F-100, F-101, F-102, F-103, F-104, F-105, F-106, F-107, F-108 <debate>

2. The finished model must include major structural components from at least THREE kits of Century Series aircraft. Major structural components are defined as: fuselage (or major section thereof), wings, fin, tailplanes, air intakes, or cockpits <debate> . Jetpipes, radomes, pylons and ventral fins/strakes are excluded.

3. The finished model must ONLY include parts from kits of Century Series fighters. The only exceptions are items which are generic across a wide range of aircraft, such as ejection seats or external stores, or non-aircraft items neccessary to make a non-aircraft model, for example car wheels for a land-speed record car.

4. The donor kits do NOT have to be to the same scale.

5. The finished model does NOT have to be an aeroplane.

Points for debate:

Definition of the Century Series?

F-100 to F-108: uncontroversial as far as I can see.

F-109: IIRC, there's some debate about what design this designation would have been applied to. If someone can definitively clarify what an F-109 is/was/would-have-been, then it's in.

F-110 (i.e. early USAF Phantom): I'm inclined to disallow this on the grounds that a) it was basically a Navy aircraft that only only joined the Century Series for a very short time as a matter of beurocracy, b) there are far too many of the damn things...  If you think it should be in, then should it be limited to the F-4Bs that were actually called F-110 temporarily, or should it be all F-4s?

F-111: I tend not to think of this as a Century Series aircraft, but I can see arguments both ways: opinions?

F-112 to F-116 (i.e. captured Soviet types under flight test): definately out as far I'm concerned.

F-117: I'm inclined to rule it out since it's technologically so different to the rest and came much later.

Cockpits as "major structural components"?

I think there's no doubt that grafting the cockpit interior and canopy from say a F-101B into a F-106 would count as a major structural component, but on the other hand grafting an F-104 cockpit into an F-105 would be pretty easy and "invisible". What about "mere" canopy swaps? Some of these can involve an awful lot of work, others are pretty simple. What do you think? Mod's decision or can we come up with some rules?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

It's not likely that I'll actually get involved in this, if it becomes a functioning GB, but...

I'd focus on the F100 to F-109 aircraft that got past the mock-up stage.
This actually restricts the builder to the F-100, F-101, F-102, F-104, F-105, F-106 & F-107...but that's still 7 cool aircraft to play with.

I say this because the XF-103, XF-108 & (disputed) XF-109 were never tested as functioning aircraft & because the F-110 (F-4) & later aircraft were totally different animals entirely.

Even the F-101 barely scrapes in because it is the only multi-engined aircraft in the (non-XF) group, while the F-105 almost dips out because it isn't a dedicated interceptor. In its favour, however, is the fact that the F-100 & F-101 were introduced before the "interceptor" role became a major sub-genre of "fighter", so it can stay as a "fighter-bomber".

Regarding the cockpits; I'd suggest a ban on replacing the cockpit/canopy with one from an aircraft by the same manufacturer (or have it not count in the final count,,, so to speak).

My 2 shekels worth. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

As this is a What-If? group why not include the numerous 'I coulda been a contender' projects of the period?
American Secret Projects: Fighters & Interceptors 1945-1978 is full of competing projects and unbuilt derivatives
of Century series aircraft.

Old Wombat

Another reason I limited it to those aircraft is that I think they are the most likely to be found in styrene & multiple scales.

Then, from these, you could develop your own What If... "XF-112 Kudabinakontenda", or something else.

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 15, 2011, 08:20:51 AM
Another reason I limited it to those aircraft is that I think they are the most likely to be found in styrene & multiple scales.

Then, from these, you could develop your own What If... "XF-112 Kudabinakontenda", or something else.

Exactly - it's the "painting with a limited pallette" challenge. Think of it as a one-type GB that's already been extended to seven types.

I only included the XF-103 and XF-108 on the principle that if anyone was mad enough to hack up the rare/expensive models that exist of them then I wasn't about to stop them.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

Very interesting idea... wonderful title as well  :thumbsup: Century aircraft are not really in my comfort zone but thats what makes the idea so intriguing
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

I think this is a fine idea and I am willing to work within the stated rules. (especially since I have like 4 century series carcasses laying around) ;D :wacko:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Jeffry Fontaine

If the century series are to be considered then it should also include the Canadian contributions in the form of the CF-100 and CF-105. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Supertom

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on March 16, 2011, 09:51:28 AM
If the century series are to be considered then it should also include the Canadian contributions in the form of the CF-100 and CF-105. 

Oooh lawyered. 
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Weaver

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on March 16, 2011, 09:51:28 AM

Hmmmm - interesting idea. They're not considered part of the official Century Series of course, but they're the right era and technology (well, the CF-100's a little early...) and it's only a couple more types.....

Think I'd be open to a popular vote on that one!  :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

I would be up for that just for the coolness factor of both AC :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Old Wombat

The CF-105 has an odd Russo-Anglo-American look that makes it appear more like a contender for the F-110 designation than the F-4 Phantom. :thumbsup:

The CF-100, although a cool aircraft, has a very... British... look to it, which doesn't gel well with the aesthetic of the US designs. :blink:

I'd be inclined to accept the CF-105 but reject the CF-100 in this instance because what I think makes this GB idea so interesting is working with all these aircraft which all have this similar aesthetic in their designs & trying to make something different from them but, if possible, maintaining that aesthetic principle. :cheers:

Taiidantomcat

I can hear Canada readying their torches and looking for Old Wombats house  ;D LOL I am good either way as I probably won't use them even if they are allowed. I don't really know enough about the aircraft or available kits.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Cliffy B

Great idea for a GB!  :thumbsup:  Seeing as how I'll never get around to building it, I have a Revell 1/48 F-101B Voodoo (two-seater) I'll offer it for sale/trade if anyone wants one for the GB.  PM if interested.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 16, 2011, 05:21:39 PM
The CF-105 has an odd Russo-Anglo-American look that makes it appear more like a contender for the F-110 designation than the F-4 Phantom. :thumbsup:

The CF-100, although a cool aircraft, has a very... British... look to it, which doesn't gel well with the aesthetic of the US designs. :blink:

I'd be inclined to accept the CF-105 but reject the CF-100 in this instance because what I think makes this GB idea so interesting is working with all these aircraft which all have this similar aesthetic in their designs & trying to make something different from them but, if possible, maintaining that aesthetic principle. :cheers:

Yes I'm inclined to agree with that: CF-105 in, CF-100 out. Look at it another way: the US aircraft that the Canuck most closely approximates is the F-89 Scorpion, and that came well before the Century Series. Also, all the uncontroversial centuries were supersonic.

- Indiana Jones