They want what for it?

Started by rickshaw, March 12, 2011, 05:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 06, 2022, 09:46:25 AM
The latest Airfix Mag has an announcement of Airfix's re-pop of their 1977 mould 1/144 scale Concorde, with decals for G-BOAF, the last flying Concorde.

They're pricing it at £32.99!  :banghead: :banghead:

Hang on, it's a 1/144 scale airliner, and not all that big a one either. In the same mag their re-popped 1/72 Sea Harrier costs £23.99 and a Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco costs £19.99.

They're either having a larf or they're crazy, the kit's tooling's been amortised DECADES ago.

Check the asking price for the 50-year old 1/12 Bentley!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Martin H

the kit's tooling's been amortised DECADES ago.

That may well be the case, but unless you have been hiding under a very large rock these days you will have noticed the worldwide price hike in all things petrolium based.

The current cost of the raw material to feed into said tooling is where the bulk of the price increase comes from.................with, of course the usual retail mark up to help keep the bean counters happy.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Not quite my point, I'm WELL aware of the economic factors you're on about, one of my cars has a BIG engine....

My point was the comparison between the price of the Concorde kit and that of the SHAR and the OV-10. Both of them are MUCH more complex than the fairly simple Concorde and would take quite a lot more of the raw material, so the price differential doesn't stack up.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Royalties?

Maybe BA demand a cut of the profits?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 08, 2022, 02:10:32 AM
Royalties?

Maybe BA demand a cut of the profits?

That is happening more and more, but it normally says so on the box. Mind you you do get some paints with this boxing and we all know how expensive they can be  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Beermonster58

The latest Airfix Mag has an announcement of Airfix's re-pop of their 1977 mould 1/144 scale Concorde, with decals for G-BOAF, the last flying Concorde.

They're pricing it at £32.99!  :banghead: :banghead:

Hang on, it's a 1/144 scale airliner, and not all that big a one either. In the same mag their re-popped 1/72 Sea Harrier costs £23.99 and a Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco costs £19.99.

They're either having a larf or they're crazy, the kit's tooling's been amortised DECADES ago.
I feel your pain!!The recent prices for the Airfix range generally are truly eye watering! £73 for the Vulcan,Victor and,  new Buccaneer! £40 for a Lancaster or Wellington! Nearly a ton for a near 50 year old 1/24 Harrier!! These are of course just a selection!. Ok,I'm well aware that these huge price hikes are not unique to Airfix.  I am also aware that nobody is compelled to pay these prices.
However, I think a lot of customers may be compelled not to buy! For myself, Airfix has just about priced itself out of my reach. I'm at the point now where I no longer buy  new kit releases generally and, I tend  to seek cheaper, second hand items. Fortunately,I have considerable stash to work on🙂.Incidentally, my partner bought me the reissued Concorde for Christmas along with the Academy B-52H. Admittedly it's a beautiful model but,at nearly £40 its way more than I'd pay for any 1/144 kit! She also bought me the lovely Revell AN-225 kit  which is completely unaffordable!
I'm not complaining by the way. I accept the situation regarding prices in general but, at the rate they are increasing, I'm approaching the point where my circumstances might dictate ceasing the hobby altogether

Allan
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Rheged

So there I was in Oxfam in Keswick........They had a Revell 1/400 USS Enterprise (aircraft carrier, not the starship) in a very scruffy, broken down box  for £11.99.  A middle-aged chap looked at it over my shoulder and almost shouted "Don't open it; if it's still sealed it's a collectors item".   It HAD been opened, and inside was a glue bombed hulk with lots of parts cut from the sprues  and the entire bridge structure missing.  Neither of us wanted it. but he assured me that if it still had the factory seals it was worth over £100 to a collector  even with a tatty box.         There was also a new, sealed Airfix  HMS Belfast gift set at £22.99 .  He bought that as a future collectors, item.       You can get a new, factory fresh, pristine gift set  on line for £18.00

One of these days, I might possible understand the "Collect sealed boxes"  mentality.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on May 26, 2022, 08:18:36 AM

One of these days, I might possible understand the "Collect sealed boxes"  mentality.

Tell me about it.  :banghead:

Back in the early 70s I had a FROG 1/96 scale Victor and Vulcan, but the Vulcan was in a French market 'Triang' box. The Victor kit had been opened and its windscreen was missing, but the Vulcan was still sealed. As they weren't my scale I took them to a trader at the Model Engineers Exhibition and asked if he was interested. He offered me £25 for the Victor  :o and I said we'd better open the Vulcan box to see if it had a missing windscreen as well.

He almost slapped my hand away, yelling 'Don't open the box! DON'T OPEN THE BOX!!' So I didn't and he offered me £70 for it!!!!

Needless to say I accepted both offers.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2022, 08:53:45 AM
Quote from: Rheged on May 26, 2022, 08:18:36 AM

Tell me about it.  :banghead:

Back in the early 70s I had a FROG 1/96 scale Victor and Vulcan, but the Vulcan was in a French market 'Triang' box. The Victor kit had been opened and its windscreen was missing, but the Vulcan was still sealed. As they weren't my scale I took them to a trader at the Model Engineers Exhibition and asked if he was interested. He offered me £25 for the Victor  :o and I said we'd better open the Vulcan box to see if it had a missing windscreen as well.

He almost slapped my hand away, yelling 'Don't open the box! DON'T OPEN THE BOX!!' So I didn't and he offered me £70 for it!!!!

Needless to say I accepted both offers.  :thumbsup:

You should have got him to make it the round £100

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

jcf

^^^^^^ ;D

Too bloody true.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

I have some 50's and 60's car model boxes.  Maybe I should ballast them with old stripped sprues and re-seal them...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2022, 05:38:06 AM
I have some 50's and 60's car model boxes.  Maybe I should ballast them with old stripped sprues and re-seal them...

You realise that empty boxes bring a pretty penny on EvilBay? :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

I couldn't bring myself to do that.  It's pandering to the collectors.
And anyway, I like the look of them AND they have spare parts stored in them.
Fred

The Wooksta!

The prices of second hand 72nd Scimitars at the minute is ridiculous. But then again, stuff you couldn't give away two years back is going for nigh on 30 notes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic