Wild Fighter Idea

Started by Cobra, March 14, 2011, 12:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys,just had a Wild Idea! What If the Skyray was used as the Basis for a Star Fighter in a Sci-Fi Series? seeing the Design & Shape of the Fighter always had me Wondering about that. think it would work? the idea just came to me. Thanks for Looking. Dan

Weaver

Well since almost anything could make a starfighter, I don't see why not. The Skyray's big but heavily-framed canopy has always reminded me of Star Wars X-wings. I'd say replace the fin with big twin tip fins that extent as far below the wing as above it, fill the intakes with an extravagant array of gun barrels and you're good to go!  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Green Dragon

Did one back when the Airfix kit first came out with the intakes filled with Vulcan cannon barrels from the Airfix Phantom and two fins from a Matchbox F-16 set about mid-wing replacing the kit fin. Got a base coat of Dark Grey on it but it got squished before I could finish it!
Love the Skyray's canopy design.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

A further idea. The wing/fuselage join on a Skyray kit (well at least on the Airfix kit) is outboard of the intakes. This presents an opportunity: insert tubular bodies between the wings and fuselage, cap them with drop tank ends and put twin or quad fins on the back. As a "very Gerry" refinement, you could get some over-size Matra pod noses (1/48th or 1/32nd) and put them on the front instead.

Quick'n'dirty:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Zombolt

philp

Neat idea.  I have the Tamiya kit and, unfortunately, the wings and fuselage are split upper and lower.  It is adding work to my planned Henneway.  But, if I pick up an Airfix kit...
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Gondor

How about adding rockets on the forward ends of the fuel tank booms of a Sea Vixen ?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on March 18, 2011, 03:32:14 PM
How about adding rockets on the forward ends of the fuel tank booms of a Sea Vixen ?

Gondor

Could be done, since the forward boom extensions were add-on fuel tanks, not structural. They were oval section though, so you couldn't just stick a rocket pod nose on the front.

- Indiana Jones

Archangel

You could build a nice Romulan ship by turning it around. Cut the nose off and block off the center and use the intakes for the engines. Cap the exhaust off with a round end from a drop tank or something else and you have the bridge. Clip the wings tips off and build your main engines with plastic tubes or something from the spares box.

Weaver

Or how about this chronosynclastic infundibulum powered version?  ;D

- Indiana Jones