Found this;The Arbalest........wierd.....

Started by Army of One, March 17, 2011, 04:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

In Vietnam, snipers regularly operated from Helicopters, firing at ranges up to 2,000 metres.

That was done simply by resting the firer's arms on sandbags while on the floor of the cargo bay (usually done, apparently from UH-1s).  They claimed high accuracies.

I'd expect to see as good, if not better accuracy out of a remotely controlled weapon mounted on a gyro-stabilised mount.  There is no reason why such a system could not match or improve upon the accuracy of a human sniper.  Sniping is not rocket science, despite the mystique which surrounds it.  Its merely a case of practice and experience.   The snipers learn to suppress the human factors which affect their accuracy.  A gyro-stabilised system suppresses the machine factors which affect accuracy.

The Israelis are installing such systems along their borders: - http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/06/for_years_and_y/

There have been numerous experiments over the last decade with computer controlled weapons, utilising various targeting technologies.  Even the Longbow Apache and its derived M1a3 system with its "hunter-killer" function could be categorised as such.

In 2009 the US Army was testing a rotor based UAV for sniping - http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/04/army-tests-new/

These systems are coming and their major advantage is that they require far less training than human sniping does.  They won't replace it but they will supplement and eventually perhaps surplant it.  The advantages are simply too great for the military to ignore.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Brian, I'm curious (having regularly flown in a UH-1), how a sniper, regardless of how he was positioned could hope to engage a target (let along be effective) at 2000m+ whilst the aircraft oscillated about its various axes as is the want of a helo?  Is this something documented, or a claim that hasn't been verified?  I guess the second question would be what weapon this helo-borne sniper was using, given that Carlos Hathcock had a record of 2.2kms during the Vietnam War and he was considered by most to be the best sniper of the war and that he was also using a modified M2 .50cal?

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

Documented.  I was disbelieving when I first read an article about it many years ago but I've seen several others since.  Longest range kill IIRC was about 2000 metres.  Usually conducted much closer but still done, it appears.   Usually done at dawn/dusk/night (with starlight scopes).   I agree, pretty damn good considering how much it shivers and shakes.

Maverick

Brian, what sort of 'documentation'?  Is it a war story from a sniper, or some actual war account?  Also, does it mention the weapon used? As I seriously doubt either the M21 or Rem 700's ability to reach out to 2ks.  Recently, I've seen a sniper doco with hand-picked crews from both US and other services, using the latest in weapons and nearly all having major issues from a helo, even tho the engagement was well under 2000m.  I also seriously hope this story isn't suggesting that it was done with a Starlight scope at that range.  Those early NVDs were blurry at the best of times and to suggest they could engage a man accurately at 2ks is ludicrous.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

It was IIRC in the official US Army Journal.  No, it wasn't suggesting it was done with a Starlight Scope.  I said that was what was used at night - obviously at considerably shorter ranges than the extra-long engagement I mentioned.  That was the exception, Mav, not the rule.  Most of the engagements would have been 1,000 metres or less.   I agree using a Helicopter would have been a challenge but apparently it was done and successfully too.   

Personally, I have to wonder about how stupid and naive NLF/PAVN soldiers were at ignoring a helicopter hovering nearby and exposing themselves so they could get shot.  I know they tended to be careless in their own base areas (something most SASR accounts testify to) but I can't believe they'd be so careless to ignore a helicopter hovering nearby!

Maverick

Yeah, I didn't think it would be a Starlight job.

The NVA/VC had quite a bounty on US helos during the War, so it's quite surprising that a lone helo hanging in space didn't attract quite a bit of fire.  Even a couple of clicks away would be close enough for them to hear a Huey stooging around, moreso in the hover I'd suggest too.

Not being disparaging towards an official journal, I'd be interested to hear the specifics of the engagment - weapon used, height of the helo, slant range, target effect, etc.  It sounds like something that would have a lot more airplay around the traps than just a journal, given the solid lack of good news from that neck of the woods.

Regards,

Mav