Heinkel He-1062 "Molch" (Newt)

Started by sequoiaranger, March 17, 2011, 01:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Only contra-prop it if you want to, man! ;)

As I said, I have a thing for contra-rotating turbo-props but that doesn't imply I think everyone should - that'd make things boring.

I do like your original plan (almost) as much! :thumbsup:

Have fun! :cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sequoiaranger

>Only contra-prop it if you want to, man!<

Sure, the "It's *MY* feckin' model" principle always applies but...I like to stretch my modeling skills into new areas, and the contra-prop and turboprop are both definitely "new ground" for me, so it is LIKELY that I will include them in the He-1062. Lately I have had lots of "down time" as the putty (repeated repeats) dries on my Bison project, so I used that time to devote to imagineering the Heinkel. The contra-prop setup I have in mind will be tricky, but I *LIKE* tricky when it adds to the fun of the model. If I were to make the Heinkel a Japanese whif, I would definitely have used the six-blade prop in keeping with the "Shinden" look, but my "Croatian" Newt will most likely have the contra-prop unless I encounter engineering obstacles that I can't overcome.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Tuck

This is looks oh so VERY good.... :o :o :wub: :wub:

Lovely start, can't wait to see more!
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

kitbasher

Why not adapt it to have an unducted fan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propfan) or whatever they're called these days (open rotor I think is curent terminology)?  But in the end it's your model, your call - and enjoy!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sequoiaranger

Tuck and Taiid---Thanks.

Trying to "solve" the dilemma of how to abruptly terminate the fuselage of the He-1062 from the He-162's looooong pointy tail, I looked to twin-engined engine nacelles' rear parts. An old B-25 showed promise, but as I was sawing it, the saw blade FLUNG the part to who-knows-where. Luckily the B-25 has two engines, so with some adroit cutting and some plastic card (and future PSR),

I now have my "terminus" and the new, longer engine is properly "cradled" in the engine site of the old He-162:

This project has gotten more and more complicated, but I am liking the project more, too, so.....ONWARD!

I broke down and bought aftermarket He-162 canopies from Squadron, so when I get them I will finalize the cockpit module and have that done. Frank's silvery He-162 nose had bulkheads already in it, one of which I had to remove in order to get a cockpit and pilot figure into.

I have proper weights that will go in the nose--I like to have trike-gear models delicately balanced so that if you push the tail down and let go, the model will just barely spring back up on its nose--no more than that.

PACOPEPE

I like the concept very much, Craig.

Some weeks ago, i started the "Me 272 N". Is my concept similar to yours?

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index/php/topic,30856.0/highlight,me+272.html

Also, i´m starting the "Mitsubishi Ki 183" (from Ki 83). My intention is to make a whiff similar to the american XP-71.

All the best
Fran

Gondor

I like the way this is going and look forward to it's progress

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sequoiaranger

>I like the concept very much, Craig....I like the way this is going and look forward to it's progress<

Thanks, Pacopepe and Gondor. I'm alternating working on the Bison *AND* the Newt--whew!

>Some weeks ago, i started the "Me 272" -i put two pics here-. Is my concept similar to yours? Also, i´m starting the "Mitsubishi Ki 183" (from Ki 83). My intention is to make a whiff similar to the american XP-71.<

I thought I remember seeing your "Ki-83" whif somewhere (like it), but not the Me-272 (I looked for it on several threads but did not find it.)

[edit]--Oh, you put a link to the Me-272. Though they (He-1062 and Me-272) are both pushers, mine will have twin booms with the prop in the center. SR

PACOPEPE

Yes Craig, excuse me; similar concepts, not whiffies. Here is:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30856.0/highlight,me+272.html

Quote from: sequoiaranger on March 23, 2011, 01:33:39 PM
>I like the concept very much, Craig.<

Thanks, Pacopepe.

>Some weeks ago, i started the "Me 272" -i put two pics here-. Is my concept similar to yours? Also, i´m starting the "Mitsubishi Ki 183" (from Ki 83). My intention is to make a whiff similar to the american XP-71.<

I thought I remember seeing your "Ki-83" whif somewhere (like it), but not the Me-272 (I looked for it on several threads but did not find it.)

SR

sequoiaranger

Hecka busy working on TWO models (Bison and Newt--hmmm, sounds like a law firm) at once. I worked on some "gap-osis" in the "boat-tail" and wing mating of the Newt (white plastic pieces in the wing root, and B-25 nacelle and other cardstock pieces in the tail). I also worked out the contra-prop arrangement, and the spinner cap I sawed off for the first prop fit PERFECTLY on the sawed-off end of the original He-162 tailcone I am using for the horizontal tailplane. I think I am going to use the "Vee-up" tailplane configuration like the original He-162 for recognition's sake, rather than the "Vee-down" I had originally planned on (it works better for the endplate configuration). The hole in the side of the engine housing is for the turbo-exhaust, in "vectored thrust" mode (will be angled down slightly, right at you as you are looking at it).

sequoiaranger

I knew that the contra-prop scheme, if I wanted them both to spin *AND* be attached post-painting, would present an unusual challenge to my "imagineering" skills (luck). I kind of bumbled my way along, but eventually hit on the scheme below (cutaway drawing). The red "system" is the outer stainless-steel tubing and disks that are all attached and will all spin together, and the blue "system" is the inner stainless-steel tubing that will likewise spin together, but in the opposite direction (so I hope).

The green is the Lindberg Ar-234 engine housing. The bulkheads had holes in them for the little pointy things that go in the engine, but they made good shaft-bearings for the prop scheme. The vertical dotted gray line was the separation point (had to saw it off and turn it 180 degrees) that enabled me to get inside and conceive the prop scheme. The circular dotted line is the hole I made for the exhaust (and thus luckily allowed me to put the rearward "Pac-Man" disk in).

The red inner "barbell" (B) was tricky in that the nacelle was in two parts, and the distance between the two inner disks had to be perfect so the props didn't wobble and extend. The forward disk was pretty straightforward, but the rearward one required a "Pac-Man" disk. That is, I needed to have the disk fit SNUGLY onto the shaft when I test-fitted the thing, so I made the hole in the center of the disk SLIGHTLY smaller than the shaft, and  cut a pie-shaped piece out of the disk so I could press it onto the shaft (through the exhaust hole!) and it would stay put. The rearmost disc just rotates at the nacelle exit, and the Revell prop (C) and truncated spinner will attach to that. The "red" prop hub has a hole in it, though, for the smaller shaft to go through for the "blue" prop.

The "blue" system consists of a pointy thingy (technical term) in the front (A) that will have a flexible silver decal disk on which are painted "compressor blades". I will be able to pull the assembly through the smaller opening (ONCE-so it better be good!) and it will rotate with the blue prop on the other end (D) that will be glued on post-painting. Once I pull the forward assembly through, it cannot go back out, and I will keep some extra length of the small shaft sticking out the back that I can trim when the time comes to attach the "blue" prop.

Whew!! What fun! (I *REALLY* hope it turns out as designed)

sequoiaranger

The "Newt" is growing rapidly! I assembled and glued the prop shaft systems, then attached the booms, tailpieces, and outer wings. the wing roots (Saab J-21 with multiple radiator openings) were swapped out from my "Nanzan" leftover wings (from the He-113M whif) that just-so-happened to have the same airfoil and taper (so MANY lucky coincidences on this whif) so the Newt is near final form (only one prop of the two are shown, and without armament, antennae, etc, but you get the idea--"Flitzer-like Heinkel"):

I needed to move the landing gear back, so cut out the area and "reversed" (thanks to having the extra Salamander carcass) the layout so that the struts will be in the rear, retracting forward. The C.G. there will almost balance without additional nose weight.

A little PSR in the wheel-well area and I am all set to finish the cockpit module, attach, and LO! the "Newt" will be ready for painting!

Doc Yo

Thats coming together very nicely. For some reason I see it as a reccon bird, but thats probably due to the greater wingspan.

sequoiaranger

>For some reason I see it as a reccon bird, but thats probably due to the greater wingspan.<

Part of the backstory (still a WIP) is that this plane is an interim prop-to-jet "trainer" aircraft for the He-162 Salamander pure jet fighter. The greater wingspan and the additional vectored-thrust lift makes it a more forgivable flier at low speeds to makee-learn pilots than the Salamander. It is still a potent aircraft in its own right, armed and attaining just a smidgen over 500 mph, but is not as "clean", fast, or tiny as the Salamander. Desperation has these "trainers" assigned to operational training units and Erprobungskommandos to work out the kinks on operations.

My particular aircraft will be an interceptor. [edited out--"one of those fighters that protect the airfields for the jets"--upon further consideration the slow throttle response of the jets would not make them good for that]. Sporting a red undersides to be identified by ground gunners [new addition--"that might mistake the unusual configuration of the Newt for an American P-38"], the craft takes on the other colors of the red-bellied Alpine Newt.

It will also have a "Totenkopf" emblem with "NEKRO" underneath, to designate "Nazi Enklave (of) Kroatien", and the obvious death reference.

Fun, huh?