Main Menu

BV-38

Started by Atlantis, March 23, 2011, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

This is the famous flying wing bomber from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark, another card model.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Thiel

When I saw the pictures the first thing that came into my mind was "My he's got a lot of PSR to do"
Then I realized it was a card model and promptly hurt my foot with my jaw.

dumaniac

Nice - I loved those sequences in the Indianna movie - I always figured it would be possible to make a conversion using a Horton flying wing - has anyone got line drawings of the beast?

Bernie

PR19_Kit

Was this ever done in plastic?

If not, why not?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Not plastic but resin.

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/1151_106/bv-38-flying-wing.cfm

http://forbiddenplastic.com/blacksun/bv38/blacksun_bv38.html

Blappy (Blap! Models) is a Starship Modeler regular &, I am reliably informed, does good work.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 24, 2011, 05:46:10 AM
Not plastic but resin.

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/1151_106/bv-38-flying-wing.cfm

Blappy (Blap! Models) is a Starship Modeler regular &, I am reliably informed, does good work.

Oh yes, I DO like that!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link, I reckon a call to the World Bank is called for, expensive it may be but it looks great.

Now the big question, does the kit count as a Whiff? Seeing as it really did exist, although it didn't fly, should be classed as an RW model?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

Great job! Really cool subject  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

That has got to be the coolest movie airplane ever, when Raiders came out in the early 1980s I went to see the movie three times just to see that aircraft again. I was blown away by the use of RLM 70, RLM 71 and RLM 65 colors and also the camouflage pattern, it sure looked convincing to me even though I knew it was a fictional aircraft.
Oh, the movie was fun to watch too. :wub:

Matrixone

Green Dragon

There was a plastic toy of the BV-38 that was only available at either Disney World or the MGM theme park in Florida, can't remember which one but I got Mum & Dad to look for it when they went over on their hols to see the live Indiana Jones show a few years back. Of course they were discontinued by then!  :banghead:
I did get some T-shirts, the uncut Indiana Jones movie box set and a load of Hershey's chocolate though! Not as good as Cadbury's, Galaxy etc. Tasted a bit like that cooking chocolate stuff.
Anyway back to the toy BV-38, there was an article in Fine Scale Modeler that did some accurising and it did look pretty impressive. Think it was larger than 1/72nd, propellers were flat and needed replacing.
There was a rumour of FineMolds doing a kit but that was a couple of years ago and nothings surfaced so far.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

PR19_Kit

Needless to say the film got to me too, on many levels.

Mrs PR19 suggested I'd suit a hat like Indiana Jones wore, and those who've met me know I took her up on it, thus my avatar here.  :thumbsup:

I keep on looking at those two web links, hmmmmmmmmmmm..........  ;D

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2011, 04:22:57 PM

Mrs PR19 suggested I'd suit a hat like Indiana Jones wore, and those who've met me know I took her up on it, thus my avatar here.  :thumbsup:

Smart woman, a fedora is an essential part of any gentleman's attire.  ;D

Captain Canada

Nice paper model of a cool aeroplane....great stuff !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dumaniac

thanks for the link and the fine Scale info - I have a weakness for cutting-and-shuting so the Ho 229 looks like a prime candidate for some time in the future

thanks everyone

Bernie

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2011, 12:21:38 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on March 24, 2011, 05:46:10 AM
Not plastic but resin.

Oh yes, I DO like that!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link, I reckon a call to the World Bank is called for, expensive it may be but it looks great.

Now the big question, does the kit count as a Whiff? Seeing as it really did exist, although it didn't fly, should be classed as an RW model?

Well, quite obviously, if you do it as an operational aircraft it is a WhIf. Although I have no idea what role it could fill.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est