BAe/Boeing GR.5 / AV-8B wings-span 'What If' question????

Started by MAD, March 26, 2011, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinlail

Is there any reason not to assume that the train is operating from a straight siding?

It would seem to me that a train car specialized for landing with large fold down pad space and then ramps to get between the cars where they could be hangered, would solve the problem of a small landing space. This is ignoring that the smart way to combine trains and harriers is to dedicate the train to moving fuel and weapons and let the planes move themselves.

Captain Canada

My SHAR ( 144th sacle on the Arctic Corsair ) will be hauled down via a beartrap type device. The cable dropped from the Harrier will have conductor wires to 'talk' to the ship. The cable end will be installed into the beartrap, and the Harrier hauled down into it. Once it gets close enough, the power will be cut while an airbag simultaneously releases to catch the bird. The air is then vented from the bag until the SHAR comes to rest in it's launch cradle.

Far fetched ? Maybe....but it works for me !

Loving this idea, BTW. A siding foe the Harriers makes it even better !
:cheers: :wub: :party:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

The crosswind business really would be an issue for sure. There were more accidents with Harriers not being aligned with the true wind direction on landing than any other reason. That's why they have the glider-style wind vane in front of the windscreen.

I favour a fold down, totally circular pad on the upper deck of the Harri-car so the aircraft could land facing into wind and then be rotated in line with the railway track, the pad folded up and then off they go.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

The key point is though folks, if you look at MAD's diagram in post #15, the Harrier's standard outriggers are wider than the flatbed. This means that however you land it, you can't stow it and have the train move off until you've done something to make the aircraft narrower. The only "standard" way to make a Harrier narrow is to support the fuselage on manually fitted jacks and then take the wing off (standard procedure for an engine-out).

Either you accept a significant delay in the train's ability to move off after landing, or you have to re-design the Harriers to have a narrower track and a folding wing. As I see it, the options are:

1. Jack the fuselage after landing (perhaps with some kind of semi-automatic mechanism) and then fold the wing inboard of the outriggers, as per MAD's drawing.

2. Move the outriggers inboard. If they're still on the wings, they have to be longer and heavier, whereas if they're on the gun pods mountings, then they have to be heatproof.

3. Go to a P.1154 style tricycle undercarriage.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Maybe jack it on an angle ?

And couldn't the train just roll away with the ramps folded down ? Considering it's not going thru a norrow tunnel or pasing an opposing train....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cliffy B

I can easily picture a very good story and/or movie coming from this idea!  Follow one of these trains while they repel their countries invaders.  Weaving in out of the mountains and countryside, launching airstrikes, fending off infantry, and armor.  It'd be really friggin cool!  :wub:

You should build this up in a dio setting with figures and the rail car.  It'd turn heads in an instant  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Captain Canada

Can we see a show of hands of everybody that wants to steal this idea ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rallymodeller

Or you could just scrap the Harrier entirely (GASP!) and go with a Yak-38 or Yak-141...

Or -- wait for it -- an operational version of the Ryan X-13.

Railcar sides drop down, cradle raises up...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Cliffy B

Another idea, how about a rail based version of the Skyhook program developed for the Navy?

http://www.vectorsite.net/avav8_3.html

Just a thought  :thumbsup:
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

Weaver

Suggested Skyhook in post #28.....  ;D Only solves the precision touchdown problem though, not the outrigger track one.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Land it on the platform, let the pilot climb out, let the air out of it, fold the thing up and stuff it in a box.

Job done.........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2011, 06:38:54 PM
Land it on the platform, let the pilot climb out, let the air out of it, fold the thing up and stuff it in a box.

Job done.........  ;D
Such a simple & practical solution! Why didn't I think of that? :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Cliffy B

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2011, 06:38:54 PM

Job done.........  ;D

JETSON'S SUITCASE CAR!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

rickshaw

Quote from: The Big Gimper on March 28, 2011, 09:37:08 AM
This is not a train solution but it does appear to have the surface area and lots of wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUGRAM-1-72-EYEVAN-DT-2-BROMRY-TRAILER-TRUCK-TAKARA-/230602411473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b0f98dd1

What the hell is that?  None of the pictures really show what it looks like or what it is meant to do...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on March 28, 2011, 10:56:29 AM
Another idea: the gun pods on RAF Harriers are, sorry were  :angry:,  redundant, so I wonder if you could engineer an outrigger wheel that retracted into one, thus giving you a narrower landing gear track? It wouldn't be a bundle of fun to fly, but it might be feasible.

I can just imagine it when a pilot forgets to put his kickstand down...  :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.