More Mutations at SAM Publications

Started by kitbasher, March 27, 2011, 05:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

So the wheel seems to have turned full circle!  Military Aircraft Modelling begat Military Aircraft Monthly (with an International thrown in for good luck), an now Military Aircraft Monthly has begat Model Aircraft but on poorer quality paper and with what seems to me to be some duplication with SAMI (might just be a wrong first impression).

Please will someone just call it Model Military Aircraft Modelling Monthly International just to cover all the angles and avoid a further name change!  Also stops confusing the shelving system at W H Smiths.  Use of the word 'Scale' may be considered.
Or why not do the bl**ding obvious and merge it with SAMI.  SAMI can then filter out some of its listings (they seemed to be culled from the web so I wonder if it would be feasible for the 'future releases' lists, etc (including page after page of box top 'previews, perhaps) to be moved to the SAM Publications website (and duly referred to in the magazine)?
Each month there are really good articles in both but they're diluted by the 'fluff'.  Merge the two, reduce the 'fluff' and maintain a steady stream of very good review, build, conversion and reference articles.  Less can be more, or am I I living in cloud cuckoo land?
Rant over.  I know we're going round this particular bouy again, and if a similar thread has already be started up, I'm sorry but I did look just in case before starting this one.

;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

I care nothing for them.  I gave up buying magazines a long time ago and whatever loyalty I had for that particular brand evaporated when Neil Robinson left.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

beowulf

i dont buy any modelling mags..........everything and more that i want to read on the subject i can get for free on the net im afraid
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

NARSES2

Have to agree with you Dave. I subscribe to both mags from the SAMI stable and SAM. Whereas SAM appears to have got it's act together, yes it's not everyones cup of tea, but I like it, the SAMI stable appears to have no idea of where it's going or where it wants to be in the market place. I feel a little sorry for Gary Hatcher. Always seemed like a decent bloke when I've chatted with him

I get and read most of the aircraft slanted modeling mags and a couple of wargames ones. Whiles away afew hours a month and does give me some inspiration.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 28, 2011, 02:06:42 AM
Whereas SAM appears to have got it's act together, yes it's not everyones cup of tea, but I like it, the SAMI stable appears to have no idea of where it's going or where it wants to be in the market place. 

I'll agree to differ there Chris.  ;D

I think SAM is turning into a SAMI clone, what with the umpteen mini-reviews, all colour coded in a scheme that only they know about. It's gone to pit since Niel left, to my mind anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

SAM is now damn near unreadable and has been since Jay Laverty took over.  Not enough words, too many photos, far too much reliance on aftermarket in the builds. Too much "you must pre shade this" or "wash that"  In short, it's becoming elitist.  Magazine builds should be how to, so the reader can aspire towards building something similar.  At least it was a few years ago.  But SAM has ditched all of that with a style over substance wankfest which alienates many modellers.

I refuse to buy it now and have done ever since Saint Laverty's holier than thou crack at home casting.  If I want to be preached at, I'll go to church or a Labour party rally, I do not buy modelling magazines.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2011, 05:13:36 AM
I'll agree to differ there Chris.  ;D

What makes the world go round Kit  ;D :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Green Dragon

I buy most of the model mags (since issue 1) and two wargames mags but this month everything seems to have gone up to over £4 so I'm going to start dumping some, or all, of them. Last weeks bill was over £50 so I think I'd rather use it for kits, dvd's and food!
Very low quality paper in that Model Aircraft and definitely not as good as it was though there were some nice looking MiG 21 schemes.
SAM is definitely a SAMI clone now, I liked it better before all the changes.
SAMI has some profiles of Me262's but they don't look too great on the crap paper.
Also get all the ADH mags.
Probably dump one of the wargames mags too.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

NARSES2

Quote from: Green Dragon on March 28, 2011, 02:03:01 PM
Probably dump one of the wargames mags too.

Paul Harrison

Been thinking the same myself Paul - which one as a matter of personal interest ?

Quote from: Green Dragon on March 28, 2011, 02:03:01 PM
Very low quality paper in that Model Aircraft .

SAMI has some profiles of Me262's but they don't look too great on the crap paper.

Paul Harrison

Agree with both of those statements

Green Dragon

I get Wargames Illustrated and Miniature Wargames at the moment (used to get White Dwarf too but it got too same-y every month). I think I'll keep Miniature Wargames as it has a more sci fi related stuff than WI (where else could I find out about a set of Armed Japanese School Girl figures!?).  ;D

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

NARSES2

Same as me then Paul. If I drop one it will be Wargames Illustrated. Very well produced but to closely linked to other commercial interests

Green Dragon

That's exactly my thinking too Chris, it's getting more like a catalogue the same way White Dwarf went when Games Workshop bought them out.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

kitbasher

So there seems to be an emerging consensus that Model Military Aircraft Modelling Monthly International (Scale) Ed 1 was a disappointment and that the rest of the established mags are going down the tubes.  Yet Airfix Model World seems to be getting something right.  I agree - some good looking articles (even if the subject matter doesn't always appeal) and the balance between 'inspitational'/'aspirational' builds (paraphrasing the earlier comments here) and reviews seems just about right.  Well done Key Publishing, keep it up.  Some sort of redemption for the way Air International went over the last couple of years (stopped buying it about a year ago - after 30-odd years).
And what irony.  Airfix Magazine led the field when it was first published - and the new incarnation might just be repeating history.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Green Dragon

I dropped Air International too kitbasher, also after about thirty years! Used to love all the three views of new aircraft projects, a lot of which never got built. Only get get the ocaisional copy now if there is something interesting in it.
Agree with you on the Airfix mag, they do seem to have hit the right mix.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 28, 2011, 02:06:42 AMI feel a little sorry for Gary Hatcher. Always seemed like a decent bloke when I've chatted with him

Gary is a good bloke most of the time. But he is a light weight when it comes to standing up to his boss, who is not a very pleasant individual to deal with at the best of times.

All thou he is a modeler, he is editing a mag that isnt covering his own core interest. He is mainly a 35th scale target builder.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.