Nosewheel Weights?

Started by sequoiaranger, March 27, 2011, 09:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

If you're at Cosford, try the Quarter Scale Group stand. They usually have trye weights available for a small donation to Help The Heroes.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

jcf

Tungsten weights are a big thing in Pinewood Derby circles, 1.7 times as dense as lead and non-toxic.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewood_derby_weight.htm

PR19_Kit

Depleted uranium should be even better. There's a few tons of that buried in a couple of concrete urns across the river from me, but I can't get at them for 10000 years or so.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I use lead and have done for many years, usually the offcuts from the lead sinkers me dad casts for fishing.  I bash the hell out of it with a hammer then cut it into small bits.  Works for me. 

Then he gave me some thin lead sheet he'd got.  Made it easier to get into small spaces.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Tuck

There is a fella over on Hyperscale.com under Plant Trading.  His name is Terry Dean.  He does custom fitted nose weights for a large variety of kits.  They are cheap too.  I have several and can vouch for their good fit,etc.  Used them for my 1/72 B-36, etc.
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

kitnut617

Top pic is my tray of lead bit's and pieces, fishing weights, strips of self-sticking 1/4 oz. blocks (usually for balancing ceiling fan blades), keyfob ornament from my bowling days, a number of old white metal legs which came from a Sharkit kit (they all folded up after a couple of months sitting on the self), the two fairly large plumb bob looking things you'll never guess in a month of Sundays where I found those --- in a dog's squeaky toy (from China  :-\ ).

Next pic is a sheet of lead I got from the scrap metal dealer (he just gave it to me, about 5 lbs of it)

Last pic is another of those you'll never guess items, I was replacing the kitchen taps which had the pull-out nozzle, well to make the flexible hose retract there was this lump of lead clamped around the hose, the hole in it was big enough so the weight stayed at the bottom of the loop as you pulled the nozzle in and out.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike