Airfix Valiant, who will be first with these?

Started by The Rat, March 30, 2011, 12:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 04, 2011, 07:04:06 AM
Except the intakes are different on the prototype, ...

Yeah, but those add to the coolness factor, so I was fully prepared to try making those too. Do you know if there were any other variations between the prototype and later versions? Major outline changes would tax me severely.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Just been reading in American Secret Projects - Bombers that when the USAF were running the RBL-X program which led to them buying the B-66 Destroyer, they also looked at both B-57 and the Valiant for the role (which makes me wonder if they really knew what they wanted... :unsure:).

Anyway, that raises the possibility of a USAF "Tactical Valiant". Low level was part of the mission, so it would probably be based on the B2. The J65 (Sapphire) would be the obvious engine choice since there was no US Avon and the Valiant had been designed to take either, but the J-57 or J71 would be an alternative. I couldn't see the USAF going for the standard two-eject-and-three-jump setup, and more sophisticated avionics might reduce the crew complement anyway, so perhaps it might have got a B-47/57-style tandem-seat fighter canopy, with two forward-facing WSOs side-by-side on bang seats with roof hatches behind it. It would have a US-style flying-boom refuelling receptacle, of course.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Sounds like an interesting conversion

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on April 04, 2011, 07:11:35 AM
Nice! Is that natural metal or high speed silver?

That looks like NM to me, you can see the different texture on the oval crew entry door under the cockpit, and on a couple of other panels on the fin and dorsal. It's not the world's clearest photo, mind you.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

What is the release date for the Airfix Valiant.  I've seen one site which suggests, "This item will be available  on Tue 10th May 2011".
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Supertom

Quote from: rickshaw on April 05, 2011, 06:15:27 AM
What is the release date for the Airfix Valiant.  I've seen one site which suggests, "This item will be available  on Tue 10th May 2011".

Oh gawd I forgot to budget for that
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on April 05, 2011, 06:15:27 AM

No idea Brian but interestingly both it and the 1/48th Seafire XVII have disapeared from the "New for 2011" section of the website but are still within the "new releases for 2011" section which includes the re-releases. Does this mean they are due anytime now ? Enquirying minds and wallets need to know, although I only want the Seafire
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I want the Valiant - 3 preferably - but although I don't have any interest in 48th, I'm tempted with a pair of the Seafires.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

TBH, the reason I want the Seafires is that there's a pair of real ones in the Model Alliance book on Seafires.  One in NMF and another in the short lived scheme of EDSG over Sky with the low demarcation line.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 05, 2011, 02:52:52 PM
and another in the short lived scheme of EDSG over Sky with the low demarcation line.

Always liked that scheme
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

rallymodeller

What about going the really wacky complete-rebuild route and doing the proposed V-1000 airliner? Valiant wings and tail and completely new airliner fuselage?

BTW, is it just me or do the PRU-variant profiles look almost exactly as if someone stuck B-47 wings on a Valiant?
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D