Airfix Valiant, who will be first with these?

Started by The Rat, March 30, 2011, 12:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

If you wanted to it you could mount two of them on that high wing of the Valiant.  Might be stretching it, but would look good.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on April 01, 2011, 02:11:46 AM
If you wanted to it you could mount two of them on that high wing of the Valiant.  Might be stretching it, but would look good.

Quicker way to see the Valiant on the scrap heap.  It had enough problems with the added stresses the wing tanks added.   Nice design, just too lightly stressed.  :(
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

The stuff about low level causing the stress fractures of the wing spars is bunkum.  It was the alloy used.  I heard a tale that there was a wing spar at Vickers that had never been fitted, just sitting on the stores yet that also had similar stress fractures and it had zero flight hours on it!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Carrying the fuel in tanks mounted mid-wing actually lessens the fatigue loads, not increases them. But the Valiants broke anyway, just as The Wooksta explained.

[This will now generate about 15 pages of people either refuting my 'wing tank' thoughts or agreeing with them..... :o]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 01, 2011, 05:01:20 AM
The stuff about low level causing the stress fractures of the wing spars is bunkum.  It was the alloy used.  I heard a tale that there was a wing spar at Vickers that had never been fitted, just sitting on the stores yet that also had similar stress fractures and it had zero flight hours on it!

Must have been the same folks who made British Leyland gear boxes, I had a few troubles with them losing teeth!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

MAD

I'm still hoping for a top-notch Valiant B.2 profile in RAAF colours and markings  :wub:

Been trying in vain to get one of these for many many years  :banghead:

M.A.D

Maverick

I've done at least three for the RAAF, all being B.2s or variants on the theme.  :unsure:

MAD

Quote from: Maverick on April 02, 2011, 11:25:33 PM
I've done at least three for the RAAF, all being B.2s or variants on the theme.  :unsure:

Yeah you are probably 100% John, but as I said, I've lost so many of your arts of work with the crash and burn of my old computer - I can not honestly remember all the great pieces you have done  :banghead:

Sorry mate  :blink:

M.A.D

Maverick

MAD

pyro-manic

That Mk.IV Scheme V is gorgeous. :wub: fourth from the bottom. Lovely wing shape!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

What?  No mention of the Valiant as an SR.53 launch aircraft?   :blink:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

Quote from: rickshaw on April 04, 2011, 05:50:57 AM
What?  No mention of the Valiant as an SR.53 launch aircraft?   :blink:

Believe I've seen drawings of that, and it would look great. But I'm really leaning toward the bare-metal prototype, it just screams 1950s cool! I just have to hope my skills with bare metal, presently non-existant, will someday be up to the task.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Wooksta!

Except the intakes are different on the prototype, although I'm sure someone will do a prototype intake at some stage.  If you have to have a Valiant in NMF there were some early production ones that served in NMF.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic