Whiffery from wrong artist's impressions

Started by ysi_maniac, March 31, 2011, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

Quote from: ysi_maniac on April 01, 2011, 07:57:59 AM
Quote from: Supertom on April 01, 2011, 07:47:16 AM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on March 31, 2011, 11:45:51 AM
MiG-29. Really beautiful
... I'm not sure about the wings, though I'm sure I've seen another plan with the same shape of wings but I can't for the life of me remember from where.

May I suggest MiG-25 or MiG-31 but 1/100, if your intended scale is 1/72, or 1/72 if your scale is 1/48?
Then scratch for LERX.

I will build it as 1/72.  Now that you mention it, the wing definitely is a MiG-31!  Unfortunately nobody makes a MiG-31 in 1/100, but there is a 1/100 MiG-25 that is out of production.  I guess I'll be scratcbuilding.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

sequoiaranger

>Not sure if they should be classed as Wifs or not as when produced they were "real" ?<

Isn't "what-if they were real" the essence of whiffery?? Prototypes are NOT operational aircraft, but when we put armament and "operational" markings on them, they become whifs, don't they? In the case of "artist's impressions", they are STRICTLY paper musings.

So *OF COURSE* they are whifs!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

Just remembered, I've got photos of the DoD-inspired Esci helos:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Supertom on April 01, 2011, 02:07:51 PM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on April 01, 2011, 07:57:59 AM
MiG-29. Really beautiful
... I'm not sure about the wings, though I'm sure I've seen another plan with the same shape of wings but I can't for the life of me remember from where.

May I suggest MiG-25 or MiG-31 but 1/100, if your intended scale is 1/72, or 1/72 if your scale is 1/48?
Then scratch for LERX.

I will build it as 1/72.  Now that you mention it, the wing definitely is a MiG-31!  Unfortunately nobody makes a MiG-31 in 1/100, but there is a 1/100 MiG-25 that is out of production.  I guess I'll be scratcbuilding.
You can try with 1/100 Phantom too, only minor working needed, IMO
Will die without understanding this world.

Jennings

I still have every issue of "Soviet Military Power" that the US DoD put out in the 1980s.  I used to scarf them up as soon as they arrived (when I was on active duty), as they tended to disappear quickly.  They always had the latest of those REALLY horrible artist's renderings of the newest bad guy hardware (tanks, missile systems, ships, a/c).  I look back at them now and just giggle.  With the satellite recce capability we had even 30 years ago, we could have done drawings and renderings that would put any model company to shame.  We just didn't want them to know that, even though they knew that, and we knew they knew we knew that.  The Cold War was so silly on so many levels :)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: MAD on March 31, 2011, 11:48:28 PM
<...>
P.S I would love to see and have this as an actual model or even see it in 'What If' profiles, in the colours and markings of those actual contries that used the Su-25 'Frogfoot'!!!!! :bow:

How about this?

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Looking back at the original post, the trouble with the "Frogfoot" colour profile is that it has a damn great radar, whereas the DoD 3-view has a much more credible MiG-27 style "platypus" nose.

I like the overwing engines though: I've toyed with a similar design, but for a trainer.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Weaver on April 05, 2011, 12:41:54 AM
Looking back at the original post, the trouble with the "Frogfoot" colour profile is that it has a damn great radar, whereas the DoD 3-view has a much more credible MiG-27 style "platypus" nose.

I like the overwing engines though: I've toyed with a similar design, but for a trainer.

Yeah, the radar nose also had me scratching my head. Seemed an odd choice. I tried a chisel nose like the real Frogfoot, but decided to stick with the radar nose as per the drawing. A later variant of this Frogfoot will have a comprehensive optoelectronic suite in a fairing comparable to that on the Su-25TM/Su-39.

Are you sure the engines on this are an overwing type as in the DoD drawing? I thought they'd be more like A-10 engines, on short pylons on the fuselage.  :unsure:

Looking at the profile again, I wonder whether you could put the pylons on top of the wings and give it a boat hull to make an amphibian ground-attacker. Sorta like the Beriev A-40's little, single-seat brother.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 05, 2011, 01:39:59 PM
Quote from: Weaver on April 05, 2011, 12:41:54 AM

Yeah, the radar nose also had me scratching my head. Seemed an odd choice. I tried a chisel nose like the real Frogfoot, but decided to stick with the radar nose as per the drawing. A later variant of this Frogfoot will have a comprehensive optoelectronic suite in a fairing comparable to that on the Su-25TM/Su-39.

Are you sure the engines on this are an overwing type as in the DoD drawing? I thought they'd be more like A-10 engines, on short pylons on the fuselage.  :unsure:

Looking at the profile again, I wonder whether you could put the pylons on top of the wings and give it a boat hull to make an amphibian ground-attacker. Sorta like the Beriev A-40's little, single-seat brother.  :wacko:

Think you're right: they are on fuselage pylons.

- Indiana Jones

MAD

ChernayaAkula you are a genies and a gentlemen  :bow:

M.A.D  :thumbsup:

MAD

Any chance of a PLAAF RAM-J/Su-25??

M.A.D

anthonyp

Ah, insta-whifs, gotta love 'em.  The Revell Su-27 from the 80's is a personal favorite of mine.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

GTX

Quote from: anthonyp on April 07, 2011, 06:27:54 PM
Ah, insta-whifs, gotta love 'em.  The Revell Su-27 from the 80's is a personal favorite of mine.

I'm with you there.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

MiG-29. Really beautiful

I have an old Bill Gunston book from the 80's before the world got to see the Su-27 and MiG-29 for real that has those drawings (in fact I bought that book because of the inaccurate drawings!).  I've been wanting to build a model of the fake -29 since.  I think I can use bits from the front end of a Su-15 and Yak-25 canopy, and the tail end and intakes of an F-18.  I'm not sure about the wings, though I'm sure I've seen another plan with the same shape of wings but I can't for the life of me remember from where.

I Think I have that one too. the flanker looks like a Hornet from the Side but the sukhoi T-10 prototype from the top --very intriguing

Also I have been working on of the Hokums Weaver posted. Fun kit  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.