S

C-119 - What to do with them booms

Started by sideshowbob9, April 02, 2011, 03:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What shall I make with the C-119's wings and tail booms?

IRBM Transporter
Airborne Radar Picket
Attack Aircraft
Parasitic Aircraft Launcher
Other

Green Dragon

Wonder if your Space Shuttle design could fit under a Carrier aircraft like your Option 1 IRBM hauler with four sets of landing gear similar to the XC-120?

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

sideshowbob9

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2011, 09:24:31 AM
Quote from: sideshowbob9 on April 09, 2011, 07:52:11 AM
........ a space shuttle!!! Pair of Javelin wings, some nozzles, some paint..... bob's your auntie.  :drink:
On a Packet fuselage? Oh my, that's going to look something else! What fin will you use?

As it stands, a 1/100 Tu-20 (Tu-95) fin. The wings and engines have already been sacrificed for the greater good, so I may as well finish the poor thing off.  :-\  I'm thinking about using the remaining Bear fuselage for some kind of (large scale) Boeing Monomail type aircraft.

For the record, the other C-119 fuselage, leftover from the XF-11 type concoction, will merge with the engines/rotors/tail of a Mi-6 to become a ...... well U.S. Mi-6 equivalent. I may well hang a F-/RF-84F under the XF-11 to fulfil the parasitic aircraft option.

For the eponymous booms/wings/tail, I'm leaning toward a XC-120-like fuselage with a couple of large stands fashioned as a teardrop antenna to act as a permanent testbed for the EC-121 programme.

QuoteI'd vote for Option 3, using the Ju 188 fuselage!

The Ju-188 will be getting the twin-boom treatment, from a P-61. It was inspired by one of the Sky Crawler aircraft. The Widow's wing planform is actually quite close to an Arado project, the E.340, so I might place this project in the same stable.

QuoteWonder if your Space Shuttle design could fit under a Carrier aircraft like your Option 1 IRBM hauler

I'd imagine the only aircraft I have in the same scale that would stand a chance as a shuttle launcher is a B-70 and she's taken!  ;)

rickshaw

Why not construct this from one of the booms?

Great movie.  Great plane!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on April 09, 2011, 06:26:43 PM

For the record, the other C-119 fuselage, leftover from the XF-11 type concoction, will merge with the engines/rotors/tail of a Mi-6 to become a ...... well U.S. Mi-6 equivalent. I may well hang a F-/RF-84F under the XF-11 to fulfil the parasitic aircraft option.

Excellent idea!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think planes turned into helos has a lot of potential - got a few in mind myself...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sideshowbob9

The Mi-6 didn't take kindly to having it's tail boom and engine housing removed and decided to snap in several places!!!  :banghead:  All of these Masterkraft kits seem to be brittle as hell!

The new plan is to merge my idea of a Mi-6/C-160 hybrid with the C-119 (and maybe some Bristol Freighter bits) to create something a bit like an AW Argosy.

May possibly get some 1/170 Noratli to fulfil the AEW/parasitic carrier ideas.

Weaver

The 1/170th Noratlas is a horrible little kit (I've got two) but useful - don't pay over the odds for one on ebay: they're common as muck!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Green Dragon

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on April 12, 2011, 04:32:25 AM
The Mi-6 didn't take kindly to having it's tail boom and engine housing removed and decided to snap in several places!!!  :banghead:  All of these Masterkraft kits seem to be brittle as hell!

The new plan is to merge my idea of a Mi-6/C-160 hybrid with the C-119 (and maybe some Bristol Freighter bits) to create something a bit like an AW Argosy.

May possibly get some 1/170 Noratli to fulfil the AEW/parasitic carrier ideas.
If it's the same plastic as when they were in Plastcart boxes it is amazingly brittle, all mine ended up getting shot with an air rifle and exploded spectactularly!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

sideshowbob9

^ I believe they are indeed one and the same. The fit of the Mi-6 beggars belief! The locating pins are nearly a centremeter out.  :banghead: I hate to waste a kit but I may just end up stamping on it and binning the remains. It's a shame, the Tu-154 I have from the same manufacturer went together pretty well.

On a happier note, I'm finally getting somewhere on the centre span of the wing of the XF-11 (the original sits too high). I hope to take some progress shots of it in the next week or 2.

Weaver, they're about £4.30-.50 odd on ebay at the mo. How much would you suggest paying for one?

tigercat

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,31673.0.html

The fit fairly nicely along with the wings to a Chinook fuselage 2 in fact.

Rheged

Cue the song   "Dem booms, dem booms, dem dry booms"

Alright, I'll go back to my corner and gibber quietly.........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on April 13, 2011, 11:20:10 AM

Weaver, they're about £4.30-.50 odd on ebay at the mo. How much would you suggest paying for one?

I'd be looking to pay about that INCLUDING the postage....

This is about right: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HELLER-1-170-NORATLAS-79735-/360314389236?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item53e46942f4

- Indiana Jones

sideshowbob9

Oh thank you very much. I will now have that in my head all day.   :banghead:  ;)

The Mi-6 is now not going anywhere near the C-119 so it is very much open season again on the idea front. The Mi-6 will have one last chance at redemption but I think I'll leave that for the (far, FAR) future. Seriously starting to think my reach has exceeded my grasp on that one!

Neat Wokka-Packet you have there tigercat.

Thanks for the info Weaver.