C-130 "strange" variants .... need help !!

Started by Deino, June 04, 2004, 11:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

*Sigh* well, if/when someone does find it, please post it.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

One more : VTOL-jet-Hercules... (a C-130 fuselage with NA augmentor wing technology of the XFV-12A). :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

QuoteOne more : VTOL-jet-Hercules... (a C-130 fuselage with NA augmentor wing technology of the XFV-12A). :)
Yeah, I remember when this was written up in Aivation Week.  After the debacle of the XFV-12A, there was no way they'd try this one.  There seems to be something about ejector technology that doesn't scale.  This caused problems iwth the XV-4A, XFV-12A, and some subsequent vstol studies (E-7 is one study designation I've seen) by GD-Ft. Worth and others.

Tophe

From Air Revue February 1963, "V/STOL transports of all kind" : from top to bottom VTOL C-130, GL.128.17, GL.298.7. Strange...

elmayerle

QuoteFrom Air Revue February 1963, "V/STOL transports of all kind" : from top to bottom VTOL C-130, GL.128.17, GL.298.7. Strange...
The top one appears to add pods of lift jets/fans to the basic C-130.  The other two, both Lockheed-Georgia Design studies (hence the "GL", Lockheed's main PD design series starts with "L", and later "CL" when the Georgia facility where Bell built B-29's was taken over)), appear to employ various high-lift wings and devices for exceedingly short take off and landing.

Edit:
I can't tell for certain, but the middle one looks like it might have an engine change, too.  Trophe, can you give me a higher-resolution scan of that one and send it to my home email address?  If there is indeed an engine change, this might have something to do with the BAC222.

Tophe

Gary

Evan.... Is there anyhing you don't know? ^_^  
Getting back into modeling

TsrJoe

Re Evan... Edit:
I can't tell for certain, but the middle one looks like it might have an engine change, too. Trophe, can you give me a higher-resolution scan of that one and send it to my home email address? If there is indeed an engine change, this might have something to do with the BAC222.  

likewise Christophe, if you get a clearer scan id love too see it...hmmm...could this be the elusive Tyne engined Herc???  :)

happy modelling, cheers, joe  :ph34r:

ps. iv tried my usual company contacts but as yet cant find any more info on the 222 at this end??? i'll keep looking tho...
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

elmayerle

QuoteEvan.... Is there anyhing you don't know? ^_^
B) Well, even after being married 27 years I still don't understand women. :D

Seriously,  I've been in the industry 30+ years and was an enthusiast even before then, so I've acquired a lot of information over the years - and retained a lot of it in memory.

Tophe

QuoteTrophe, can you give me a higher-resolution scan of that one and send it to my home email address? If there is indeed an engine change, this might have something to do with the BAC222.  
likewise Christophe, if you get a clearer scan id love too see it...hmmm...could this be the elusive Tyne engined Herc???  :)
Dear Joe, I have sent you by mail the 320Kb tif file which is my source-scan, but I can post here a truncated jpg file for everyone to make an opinion. Uneasy I think (for me, but Master Evan may decide...). :)  

Tophe

(Evan, I sent the source to you yesterday and today : 2 refusals... what to do ?) :(  

overscan

Send it to me and I'll sort it out ;)

paul@overscan.co.uk
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

elmayerle

Quote(Evan, I sent the source to you yesterday and today : 2 refusals... what to do ?) :(
Well, the sending to the alternate address worked well.  As near as I can tell, that design doesn't have T56 engines.  Additionally, the longer nacelles would be consonant with the engine driven compressors and requisite plumbing for the BLC system.

I'll leave further analysis to others here.

Tophe

Another one from Paul:
BLC-130 (Boundary-LayerControl Hercules) = GL.128-6, from Air-Revue February 1960.
If someone is interested, I have also the 3-view drawing, a photograph of the prototype (only left wing installation, not complete). And if Evan our favourite engineer wants, the (French) article explains why the chosen way of BLC has been selected among 4 possibilities, with advantages and drawbacks... I could translate, but I would need help : how do you say blow/inhale the boundary layer ?

elmayerle

QuoteAnother one from Paul:
BLC-130 (Boundary-LayerControl Hercules) = GL.128-6, from Air-Revue February 1960.
If someone is interested, I have also the 3-view drawing, a photograph of the prototype (only left wing installation, not complete). And if Evan our favourite engineer wants, the (French) article explains why the chosen way of BLC has been selected among 4 possibilities, with advantages and drawbacks... I could translate, but I would need help : how do you say blow/inhale the boundary layer ?
You say "blow the boundary layer".  Lockheed-Marietta's BLC testbed was later upgraded significantly as the HTTB (High Technology Test Bed) and, while in that guise, eventually crashed. I'll ahe to Google to find more out later.  The interesting thing about the BAC 222 was that instead of using separate pods to generate the air, the extra power of the Tyne engines was used to drive compressors in each engine nacelle.