looking foe help with scratch build wings

Started by lenny100, April 03, 2011, 12:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

i am about to make a set of wings for a 1/114 airliner i am makeing and would like advice from people who know on the best way to make them, the main problem is part of the wing is forward swept with rear swept outer parts yes a M wing
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

deathjester

The best way that I have found so far is to make a central spar for the wing section, with a bit sticking out to go into the fuselage, glue upper and lower panels to the spar, then bend the leading and trailing edges together.  Superglue and clamp them together, and there's a nicely shaped wing!

Weaver

Another way would be to assemble a collection of tubular spars of different diameters, whose profile roughly matches the aerofoil section, then bend a sheet of thin plasticard over them to give a continuous surface.

Like this:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

I remember reading articles about scratch building wings in which the core of the wing was made from balsa which was then skinned with plastic card. The balsa core was left inside the plastic skin to give support to the plastic. This is not something I have tried so can not vouch for how well it works.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

frank2056

A really good book is Harry Woodman's "Scale Model Aircraft in Plastic Card".  Chapter 3 covers making wings. While mostly WWI related, the techniques should be applicable to any wing.