BAe Pegasus Air base in 1/72 ( New pictures 08/11 )

Started by Project D, April 05, 2011, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project D

Thanks but its no way near finished yet. Still need to finish laying the tarmac sheets, buy and build ground equipment, fit taxi lights and lamposts, mark taxi lines and actually build some whifs  :banghead:

Project D

Found another cheap aircraft this week, a 1/72 f16 in diecast but not sure of its make  :unsure: This is now my first whiff acting as a dissimilar combat training aicraft for testing new aircraft. Also picke up a cheap lightning that was pre built for 50p but it was ok for what i wanted to do with it. I previouslly  mentioned the way aircraft are aquired and now i've modeled the lightning in the tranport form. Spent most of this week working on ground vehicles and the hangar interior and also got a few more pics before my camera died this morning.

The F-16 being towed across the base

Another shot of the F-16 from over the wall

Part finished hangar interior

The hunters back in for more work

Lampost being repaired

Lightning being delivered

Project D

Spent most of the weekend laying tarmac sheets and painting taxi lines but its nearly done just lights to go now and possibly sounds  :thumbsup: took a short break and planned out two of my long term projects, just wondered what everyone thought of them.

Modernised victor with new cockpit and canopy

Modernised vulcan with blended in canopy, new radar and ecm jammer suite fitted.

Hobbes

This is shaping up into a very nice diorama. Are the vehicles in 1/76 scale?

I like your Victor and Vulcan, hope you get round to building them soon.

Project D

Thanks for the comment  <_< the majority of them are such as the cars and the lorries but the unimogs are 1/87 as is the control tower. I hope to get a couple of saracens aswell to add the base aswell as a few others. I think i might start the victor first as it looks the easiest out of the two and it gives me time to get the parts together for the vulcan.

trekaddict

Mind if I borrow your Vulcan concept? I am modelling with a scenario where Canada and Germany are users of the Vulcan and need to modernize their planes until the follow up can be exported from Britain.

Project D

Thats fine  :thumbsup: it'll be a while untill i get around to it yet and i'll be building a prototype version to fit into the story of the base anyway.

Leading Observer

I love the Victor and Vulcan concepts :thumbsup:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Pablo1965

it shows that you really enjoyed this diorama, I like too  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Project D

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, really has made the weekends work worthwhile. I was just wondering if anyone had any audio or video files with general airfield noises and engine start ups as i'm still thinking of fitting speakers under the base boards aswell.

McColm

Wow,
I could add some 00/HO track to your idea and bring in the aircraft by rail, maybe a second pasting table, with a continuous loop. The Hornby or Peco engine sheds would make ideal hangers.
I know how big the Nimrod is having nearly completed my version of the AEW & inflight refueling tanker with hose and drogue pods under the wings and a fly boom under the tail section.
If you were contemplating building the Boeing E-3A or C-135 family then an extention would be needed as the wing span is almost two feet wide or you could have these removed ready for disposal.

The Victor concept is amazing, I could use my spare C-135FR nose or Nimrod nose section in the build.

Project D

Funny you should mention a 00 layout as this is how this project started but i could never get the electrics to work so i hav several diesel locos and loads of track. I may get another pasting table for an extension but that wouldn't be till i've completed this one and a few whiffs first. The victor was designed using parts from a vc-10 and the vulcan used b-1b features for a stealthier look.

Project D

Just thought i'd upload a few pics of this weekends work for you all to enjoy.

Partially completed tarmac

F-16 having its canopy adjusted

New vending machince placed in the hangar

Delivery of materials

Gate guards

Parts delivery

F-16 having some welding work done on the nose gear

More to come later

McColm

Hi,
It could be a problem with the voltage that you are using. The transformer could also power the lighting or have bulbs under the aircraft stands for extra effect or even blue bulbs as a taxi-way. If you had a dimmer switch this could make the scene 'mean and moody'. Depending on what time of the day it was.
You can use plasti-card or buy track already inlaid (Kibri models-supply these) before you lay the tarmac sheets, saves time on all that cutting (and swearing).
Or even a waterway and bring your stock up by barge. Hornby do a range on this as well.

Project D

I'd not thought of a dimmer switch on the lights  :thumbsup: I may have to look into another transport feature when i extend the board. On the taxi lights i'm not sure if they have lights in the actual lines or just the perimeters of the taxiway and on the stands, can anyone help me out?

Time for some more pics anyway