BAe Pegasus Air base in 1/72 ( New pictures 08/11 )

Started by Project D, April 05, 2011, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I've got an RA-5C 1/72 Trumpeter kit and an Matchbox Tornado F-3 to build the 'Super Tornado'
With regards to your Orion, I've penciled in the idea of building the P-7A and with the spare parts I could splice the forward cockpit of a F-22 and use this for a training aircraft.

Project D

Quote from: Mr.Creak on September 17, 2011, 04:45:50 AM
Quote from: Project D on September 17, 2011, 04:00:19 AM

Super Tornado
Next is my idea of a Super Tornado used as a dedicated bomber that is 50% bigger than the normal Tornado and does not have variable geometry wings fitted. I plan to finish it in this colour scheme as it appears to be being prepared to attend an exercise in Norway and i like the look and contrast of the Artic scheme against the normal grey.
Ooh, I like this.
Vigilante-ish.

BAe Ferret
My idea for a small supply aircraft for delivering small but urgent deliveries to and from the base.
This is fantastic. I'd never thought of the Rotodyne as purely fixed wing before but it definitely works.

I plan to use a Vigilante as a base for the super tornado, as i have a part bulit vigilante and a part built tornado on my shelf which gave me the idea  :wacko:

The rotordyne started out as a chinnook untill i found a rotordyne fuselage with the rotor part broken off in a box (even though i've never had the kit)

Project D

Quote from: McColm on September 17, 2011, 04:57:16 AM
With regards to your Orion, I've penciled in the idea of building the P-7A and with the spare parts I could splice the forward cockpit of a F-22 and use this for a training aircraft.

I like the sound of this, am i right in saying its based one the 737? I might look into this at some point.

McColm

Ah no,
There is a topic called  'Aircraft used for camera platforms for movies and TV'. On page one there is a picture of an NC-131H.
My version is to use a P-3 Orion as the base model and graft on a suitable front cockpit.

Athough I do have the liquid laser parts in my AMT 1/72 EC-135 'Looking Glass' kit a long with the decals, this was a welcomed suprise, when I checked the parts (won the kit on e-Bay with a Heller  C-135R[F] French Air Force version).

Project D

Ah i see now, sounds like a good idea. I may attempt a British version with a secret front end fitted  :thumbsup:

McColm

I'm still in between kits at the moment:
Project Collouses Airfix 1/144 SRN-4 Hovercraft. Two kits joined togther, middle section no roof. Can be used to launch Harriers and helicopters in VTOL. Powered by four jet engines taken from the Martin SeaMaster.

BAe Nimmet. (stretched Airfix BAe Nimrod with the rotordome of a E-3A on top of the base of a E-2C, plus air ducts. Cargo door from a C-135R, hose & drogue refueling pods and the boom also from a C-135R. Two stabilisers added to the tailplane (V-22). Gear up and suitable stand found. Colour scheme was matt black upper surfaces and dayglow orange undersurface. Changed to hemp. Glazed parts painted over.

Sea Nimrod, cut down version of the BAe Nimrod. Queens Flight or C.O.D. for the Fleet Air Arm. Retained the rear weapons bay. Looks like a Comet MK1. will add arrester hook, thought of folding wings (not sure). Four seater cockpit, seats taken from the C-135R.

Project D

On the sea nimrod i'd go for the queens flight  :thumbsup: don't see many whifs painted up in queens flight colours (gives me an idea)

We could put together quite a display with all these Nimrods, Vulcans, Victors and Valiants but it'd need a big base  :banghead:

McColm

The Victor that I've got is earmarked for a Ekranoplan conversion the 'Be 2500' you can see this model on Youtube.
This would tie up my own version of your idea. The concept is to make the front  ressemble a stone frigate out of the rock formation, with a harbour scene behind. An oval track would shunt the goods/aircraft parts back and forth. Merry-go-round sort of thing disappearing through tunnel mouths revealing a holding area. I'd need two tables, with underneath storage (built by me). The backs of the warehouses would double up as aircraft hangers. I can display my ekranoplan and PS-1 sea plane when they are built. Plus any other builds. Although the Tu-22M and the B-1B bombers are on the large side and the wing of the C-135 is nearly two foot wide.

Project D

can't wait to see the photos  :thumbsup: i've had a tu-22 stashed away for a while but i've not got a clue what to do with it.

McColm

Nor can I.
I'll follow the instructions on how to download to this site when I'm back at work on Thursday. Got a few more pictures to add to the topics I've started.
Got to get my own laptop or PC one of these days :banghead:

Project D

Spent most of this week reading the book "Dark Eagles" due to a lack of solder and primer so not much has been built this week. Although after reading my book i decided to build a plinth for introducing visitors and members of other companies to the projects underway. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when i've painted it all up and added figures to the plinth. I'm also considering adding a 1/700th plane on a stand to the plinth for added detail to the display.

McColm

Had a look at my Matchbox Tornado F2/3 and a Japanese RA-5C kit, although they both have a hump. They won't fit unless major surgery is performed or the cockpits are grafted on ahead of the air intakes.
I have a kit of the Mig-31 from Russia, they have the fuselage seperate from the cockpit, unless you have the Trumpeter kit or Airfix handy.

Project D

I'll have a close look, may have to major surgery as you say but it would be worth the work for the outcome. Also had a new idea for the airborne laser but i can't find one for sale anywhere or any pictures to use for references to scratch build one. If anyone has one would they be able to give me some sizes and photos for reference as my Vulcans nearly complete and i'd like to start preparing my next project.

McColm

I'll have a rumage for you, over the weekend.

sideshowbob9