BAe Pegasus Air base in 1/72 ( New pictures 08/11 )

Started by Project D, April 05, 2011, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project D

Thanks McColm, i was reading about all the dead satelites and rubish in orbit of the earth and thought i'd create a multi purpose satelite/missile destroyer based on the YF-12A using the liquid laser parts. I intend to have a YF-12A built up in RAF colours as a demonstrator for the USAF of the conversion work and a SR-71 that they've pulled from storage to recieve the conversion to the same standard.

Thanks Sideshowbob9, i had a look at the new kit earlier today and this conversion looks to be really easy and will definatly go ahead if icangather up all the parts and buy the kit.

McColm

The Super Tornado could still work if you built the A-5A Vigilante kit, as there isn't a hump.

Project D

I believe that is the model i have, not sure as i got it on a car boot mostly built but it suits what i need it for. Just got to find the tornado parts then this projects ready to go.

Project D

Long time, no update  :banghead:

Lots of progress and a disaster. Bad news first, i spilt thinners all over my camera and its now wrecked  :angry: However my dads lending me his for the week. More good news is the super tornado is built up ( just needs psr, a nose cone and painting ) The vulcans at the same stage needing psr then paint. My PR-19D is stalled as i managed to get a left U-2 wing but nit a right one so thats all thats holding this one back at the moment. I also started a new project which will be a secret till its spotted on the base along with a few others  ;)

McColm

Sorry about your camera. I doubled checked and no I don't have the laser lab parts only the decals. Two sets of wings , two sets of engines and two sets of decals for the EC-135.
There is an article in issue 52 October 2011 Hornby Magazine page 64 on the 'How To' "Aeroplane on a railway layout". Refering to Birmingham International Airport as a starting point for a Whiff build.
I look forward to your build.

Project D

Thanks McColm, i'll have a look at it for ideas. Just had 2 new models given to me by the elderly woman who collects her presciption from my girlfriend. Thay are a tornado and a harrier t.12 but both appear to be whiffed already. The tornado had been made into a single seater and has various bumps and the harrier appears to have been made into an asw aircraft. None of this is a problem however but just gets me stuck for what to do with them.

McColm

The Germans wanted a single stick Tornado for their maritime patrols and during the 1980s flew them as such. An ECR version would justify the lumps and bumps. Not too sure on the harrier, maybe the front fuselage could be grafted on the Tornado and swapped around. :banghead:

Project D

Thanks Mccolm, i had thought of making the harrier into a 4 seater but i'm ot sure how to go about this. These won't be getting any attention untill i've finished my current builds which may be a while untill i find a right u-2 wing, nimrod undercarriage and wing tip pods.

McColm

Should have a spare Nimrod under carriage, not too sure on the Yellow Gate ESM pods. I might have used them else where.

Project D

I was just getting ready to photo the vulcan before i start psr work and there was a ping and the undercarrige went under the weight. I reckon 4 wheel undercarrige sets should hold up better.

McColm

Maybe a metal undercarriage would be better? As to your four seater harrier, try using the Prowler layout.

Project D

I think it's more down to me using f-111 undercarrige, i'm guessing it was to much weight on small spots but i think it would be better supported on 4 spots on each side. As to the harrier i had thought of grafting a prowler front to the fuselage but i don't want to loose the harrier looks, i may try and widen the fuselage with plasticard strips and scratchbuilt cockpits but then theres the canopy problem.

Project D

Managed to get hold of a u-2 wing so the pr-19d is nearly finished and while having a break i stumbled on my next project, Joseferns Euroliner 2000  ;D  I've got a couple of scraped typhoon kits at work i'll have a look at tomorrow. I'll probably cast the finished fuselage as i can think of a few variants i'd like: V.I.P Transport, Tanker, Squadron support a/c, Transport, Jamming a/c, any others any one can think of?

Project D

Started to work on the backboards today, not sure what sort of background to go for on them. Also started a new rail yard on a bit of off cut from the backboards. I'll be moving the base at the start of the week to my work so i can use my spare time on it and get better pictures and more work done on it.

McColm

Backgrounds can be bought from model railway shops, try Peco.