Whoopsie! A student pilot ground loops a Bf 109

Started by matrixone, April 10, 2011, 10:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

The Bf 109 was well known for being difficult to handle during take off and landing and a large number of them were damaged or destroyed by pilots in the training schools.

My model is a 1/48 scale Hasegawa Bf 109G-2 and I did not like the markings that came with the kit so I chose to put it in the markings of a training unit, I was inspired by the photographs in the Eagle Editions booklet titled ''Augsburgs Last Eagles'' that showed some older Bf 109s used by a training unit based near Lechfeld that were captured at the end of the war by U.S. troops.
My model is a what-if, there was no ''white 42'' known to be used by that training unit, I wanted my model to look like it was damaged by a student pilot and was not repaired because the war was almost over and was abandoned by the retreating Germans.

This is the first i/48 scale Hasegawa Bf 109 I have built and won't be my last! Its a very nice kit, however the decals SUCK...replace them. :banghead: I tried to use some of them and had some silvering problems, most of the decals used on this model came from my spares box.

Matrixone

Gondor

That first picture is absolutely fantastic Matrixone  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think you have nailed it with the look of that pic.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thanks very much Gondor!

I also like that first pic the best.
The pics with the figures in them are not as good because of the soft detail of the Tamiya figures, Tamiya needs to make more figure sets with improved details molded into them, they can produce great detail in their aircraft kits and I don't see why the figures would not be as good. I have started a Tamiya Me 262 kit and am amazed at the sharp detail the parts have! :wub:

Matrixone

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

That is crazy realistic! How did you bend the prop blades?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tc2324

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Excellent finish and diorama on this one.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Gondor

I think the only improvements to the pictures that Matrixone has taken would be to show the mess the turf would be in from the aircraft ground looping and the subsequent skidding to a halt  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dumaniac

matrixone

Thanks Guys!

I bent the prop blades by warming them up and bending them around the handle of a small metal file. You don't want to get the plastic warm or it will distort, if the plastic is too cold it might crack instead of bend.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I have enjoyed your stuff for a number of years, and I WONT beleive that this is your first Hase 109.... just cannot accept that  :o - Looks superb as ever, sir.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

matrixone

Thank you Ian!

I don't have very many 1/48 scale Hasegawa 109 kits and have put off building them until now, I don't want to be in a hurry to build the rest of my stash because these kits are so expensive now I could not easily replace them.

Matrixone

frank2056

I love the oil leaks on the air scoop. The figure painting is fantastic, too. Did you airbrush the base colors and added details and highlights with a  brush or where they all hand brushed?

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones