Naval Whirlwind

Started by simmie, April 12, 2011, 04:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Just bought an Airfix Whirlwind to try this on..................................................... soon!? :blink: (So many ideas, so little time!)

I'll have to see if I've got any decent shots (or can find any) of the Fury or Firefly wing-fold systems.

Fury has the better fold for this concept; the fold-back system of the Firefly required attachments to the fuselage to hold the wings up if folded for more than a couple of hours (or a couple of minutes in rough seas) &, so, the wing-tips needed to be near the fuselage, which is not possible on the Whirlwind.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

This comment intrigued me in the World Book of Knowledge article on the Whirlwind:

US Navy, one aircraft was sent to the USA for trials in June 1942 and survived there until at least late 1944.

Anybody willing to make one?   :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Army of One

Old W....I'd love to see it done..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

pyro-manic

IIRC, that's the mysterious Whirlwind that's been posited as the possible sole survivor of the type. It's final fate is unknown, and it could be languishing in a shed/hangar/warehouse somewhere on the East coast.

A naval Whirlwind could be very cool, as effective as a Beaufighter for anti-shipping and ground attack, and able to take on pretty much any attacking aircraft you could think of, at least at low level.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<