MOTORWAYS AS RUNWAYS

Started by Rheged, April 13, 2011, 02:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13048131

Having watched the above, I seem to remember hearing from one of the M1 motorway bridge designers (he lived beside my parents in Carlisle) that one of the parameters for bridge clearance was the height of R A F aircraft tailplanes. From the 1950's onwards, UK motorways were all designed as emergency runways.  Sweden does this too.

Given that a Harrier can land in a tennis court, how many hardened pads are thus made available?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Jaguar taking off from the M55 near Blackpool. They took the opportunity to test the capability in the gap between the road beingbuilt and being opened:

http://www.ciht.org.uk/motorway/m55pnb.htm

This clip has some footage of the M55 trials at about the 2 min mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-uqMUA7U-k
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

I remember those occurring back in the early 1980s.

The Swedes have a different idea.  IIRC They design their roads to have a 1 km straight stretch ever 50 km.  Off that straight stretch they have dispersal areas and taxiways.   They can move in quickly and set up an airbase and operate aircraft off it.  The road is designed to accept the loads.

I note that there is a youtube video which I can't find at the moment which shows Warsaw Pact airforces doing similar things with MiG-21s.  So, its not completely uncommon as a way of basing aircraft.

Interestingly, one of the major airbases in Australia's "Top End" - RAAF Tindal - near Katherine in the Northern Territory was built on top of a section of the Stuart Highway.  The road was diverted around the airstrip.  It was quicker, cheaper and easier to build a new road and than to try and build a well compacted runway.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Finland operate their Hornets from roads too.  Not necessarily motorways/highways either, they're often small stretches of road.

Have a look at the bottom two videos on this thread at militaryphotos.net:
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?122378-Finnish-Air-Force-F-18-videos
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

I recall an article on BBC from a few years ago about the ROCAF using one of their highways as a dispersal field for exercises.  Granted, they went in and added more asphalt before it kicked off. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

ChernayaAkula

A part of Autobahn A44, running east-west from Kassel into the Ruhrgebiet, also had a stretch earmarked for use as a runway. Perfectly straight, with the barrier in the middle demountable and with a lay-by at either end to serve as re-arming and re-fuelling points.
HERE'S a satellite view from Google Maps of the stretch of A44 in question.
Note the proximity of Paderborn-Lippstadt Airport. Wonder whether they intended to use this as a forward operating base in wartime and, in case the Soviets disabled the runways, use the Autobahn for a runway. The intra-German border was only a short hop away from Paderborn. Around 120km, with the closest part only about 90km away.

This wasn't the only case of Autobahnen for runways in Germany. German Wikipedia has a list (CLICKY).

The Singaporeans also practice this. There was an article in AFM some time ago. They basically towed the aircraft out the front gate of the Air Base and launched from the highway.  :lol: Even with Hawkeyes!  :o
Think I've seen a video of the Pakistanis flying their F-16s off a highway as well.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

Sweet.....that Mirage is tres cool. Neat to see the Kiowa and Chinook in there as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dragon

As I understand it, the Highways built during the Eisenhower Administration in the US, had to have a straight portion every so many miles expressly for that purpose.

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

rallymodeller

Quote from: dragon on April 13, 2011, 12:13:41 PM
As I understand it, the Highways built during the Eisenhower Administration in the US, had to have a straight portion every so many miles expressly for that purpose.

Nope, that's a myth: they debunked it at Snopes.com.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 13, 2011, 09:25:33 AM
A part of Autobahn A44, running east-west from Kassel into the Ruhrgebiet, also had a stretch earmarked for use as a runway. Perfectly straight, with the barrier in the middle demountable and with a lay-by at either end to serve as re-arming and re-fuelling points.

Cor, I've driven along that length of the A44 a few times, but I never noticed its similarity to a runway. I did think it was a nice stretch to exceed the UK's 70 mph limit on though.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

raafif

In 1981 I was on a train in central Switzerland which stopped for some reason -- in the apple orchard beside the track there were wrecks of their modded Hetzers & a road a short distance away on which a Mirage fighter landed then taxied off into a "hill" which swallowed it up !!
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 13, 2011, 04:41:55 PM
Cor, I've driven along that length of the A44 a few times, but I never noticed its similarity to a runway. I did think it was a nice stretch to exceed the UK's 70 mph limit on though.  ;D ;)

Know what you're talkin' 'bout, Kit. :thumbsup: Nice part to put the pedal to the metal, but often haunted by a nasty crosswind, spoiling things somewhat. :lol: Living just north of Kassel and with Dad being from Dortmund and many relatives living there, we use A44 a lot.
Also, crossing the Hesse border into North Rhine-Westphalia has the benefit of being able to pick up BFBS Germany on the car stereo.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

anthonyp

Quote from: rallymodeller on April 13, 2011, 01:42:52 PM
Quote from: dragon on April 13, 2011, 12:13:41 PM

Nope, that's a myth: they debunked it at Snopes.com.

You should note, however, that that article was last updated on 4/1/2011  ;D

Kidding, kidding, I know it's bunk.  No, NOT IN THE FACE!!!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Old Wombat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 13, 2011, 09:25:33 AMA part of Autobahn A44, running east-west from Kassel into the Ruhrgebiet, also had a stretch earmarked for use as a runway. Perfectly straight, with the barrier in the middle demountable and with a lay-by at either end to serve as re-arming and re-fuelling points.
Note the proximity of Paderborn-Lippstadt Airport. Wonder whether they intended to use this as a forward operating base in wartime and, in case the Soviets disabled the runways, use the Autobahn for a runway. The intra-German border was only a short hop away from Paderborn. Around 120km, with the closest part only about 90km away.
I note the proximity of the woodlands, too; ideal for camouflaged aircraft dispersal.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

starship1

Most of South Korea's are the same.