MOTORWAYS AS RUNWAYS

Started by Rheged, April 13, 2011, 02:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Nick on April 20, 2011, 02:04:50 AM

In many other UK locations roads were reinstated on former airfields and in some cases the authority simply re-routed the road to use the hardcore of the old runways or taxiways. Examples include the A15 at Elsham Wolds, the A372 at Weston Zoyland, Kimbolton, and my local favourite at Matching Green where the winding country lane is actually part ex-runway, part perimeter track and part aircraft dispersal site!

The periimeter  track at Great Orton (Cumbria) is now a  minor road, with spectacle dispersals off to either side. At Anthorn(Cumbria) the old R N A S Nuthatch airfield peri-track is the road, with Fromson  hangers and gun butts beside it .  Worth a look if you are passing!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rallymodeller

In my circles, what is in that photo is known as a "chicane". The idea is to lose as little speed as possible... :wacko:
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Thiel

A little off-topic, but you can't have a discussion like this without mentioning Gibraltar Airport.

There is a red light you'll never jump.

McColm

Rheged

Quote from: Thiel on April 21, 2011, 02:44:49 PM
A little off-topic, but you can't have a discussion like this without mentioning Gibraltar Airport.

It used to be the same at R A F Machrihanish.   A curious place with a fascinating  raft of wild  theories about it.

McColm

Pitreave Castle was a bit like that, before the M.O.D sold it and the developers turned it into flats.

rickshaw

Quote from: Rheged on April 28, 2011, 01:59:03 AM

It used to be the same at R A F Machrihanish.   A curious place with a fascinating  raft of wild  theories about it.

Such as from this website:  http://www.dreamlandresort.com/black_projects/machrihanish.html.

I was looking for some sort of photo which would tell me why you think Machrihanish was like Gibraltar but I still can't see how from the high resolution photos of the runway on that website.   Can you tell us why the two are similar?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Don't be so sure. Back in the '50s, a North Western double-decker bus doing a workman's special to Woodford jumped the red light on the road which crosses the runway, which is the reason why the North Western ended up with an open-topped bus and why there's one less Lancaster in the world. The driver got sacked from the North Western and was promptly taken on by Stockport Corporation because they were so short of staff. My mum was his guard for one horror-filled shift, during which she discovered at length why his nickname was "Take-a-chance".... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on April 28, 2011, 05:02:13 AM
Quote from: Rheged on April 28, 2011, 01:59:03 AM

Such as from this website:  http://www.dreamlandresort.com/black_projects/machrihanish.html.

I was looking for some sort of photo which would tell me why you think Machrihanish was like Gibraltar but I still can't see how from the high resolution photos of the runway on that website.   Can you tell us why the two are similar?

Traffic lights  are the answer! There used to be a set  to allow the service planes to leave the military airfield and reach the civil terminal.   Occasionally, the R A F used  the old dispersals and  had to cross the road. Somewhere in my collection, I have a couple of colour slides from Summer 1971 (when I was teaching in Campbeltown)  showing a pair of Shackletons taxi ing across the road.  They were LOUD  even when moving on two engines.