"Zeb" Twin-Engined Zero

Started by sequoiaranger, April 13, 2011, 08:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: sequoiaranger on April 18, 2011, 10:17:10 AM
Eye-balling and measuring, I have come up with some basic specs for comparing the Zero, the early Dinah, and my "Zeb":

I think the "original" artwork, especially the "green" version (another thread), just had two engines slapped onto a standard Zero airframe with wingspan and length unchanged (VERY unlikely).

The drawings that accompany the two paintings show increased wingspan, rear fuselage length and, it appears, vertical stabilizer chord.

Length: 9.381 M (30.78 ft)
Wingspan: 13.151 M (43.15 ft)

Here are the two drawings combined into a single 3-view (with cartoons removed).

sequoiaranger

Thanks, Jon-c, for the drawings. I knew I had them somewhere (with the cartoon pilot drawings)....!

I am pleased that the "official" drawings closely match my "Zeb" project. I hadn't realized that folding wings were a part of the other concept, too, though it would make sense.

I altered the front-view of the drawing to more accurately depict the front view of "Zeb", with the carb/supercharger ducts "inside" the cowl (as it is with the Dinah), and the row of eight guns low in the front. I think I will keep the guns 7.7's, as eight such guns is still four or six more than many Japanese fighters early in the war. The Ki.44 Shoki "heavy" fighter only had four 12.7's (at first, two 7.7's and two 12.7's) to *EARN* the name "heavy", so eight guns, no matter how small, would be "heavier" still! The Dinah and my Zeb will have the engined mounted squarely in the middle of the wing, so the nacelle top will extend further back into the wing, but these are such MINOR details of difference.

The "Dauntless" vertical stabilizer I intend to use on the Zeb will be a little taller and more "graceful", rather than the drawing's whose cord looks kinda thick, and look more like the original Zero tail with an added strake .

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sequoiaranger

OK, while letting some auto-mechanic degreaser work its magic on a dirty engine, I cut some plastic and added a smidgeon of glue to put together a "Zeb" fuselage:

That is an old gray Monogram A-26 nose, Blue-white Revell Zero top fuselage and canopy, green Dinah fuselage, and dark-gray Testors/Hawk SBD tail.

Works for me! The measurements came out nearly perfect (unseen below is an .020 strip to spread apart the Dinah fuselage a tad for the A-26 and SBD parts to fit.)

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Taiidantomcat

What fit! If not for the different colors I would wonder what kit you were building :cheers: very well done
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sequoiaranger

I worked on the wings awhile, deciding to limit the Zero 52 wing addition to the outer four feet or so at the tip (careful to leave the Dinah control surfaces intact for the visual continuity). Mind you, the tips here are about three feet shorter than that of the original Dinah wing, but now they are "Zero-shaped". I dry-fitted and attached the wings and several cowling pieces for this picture below, and am using the Zero horizontal tailplanes, as they made a better fit with the "Dauntless" tail section rather than an elaborate re-shaping of the Dinah tailplanes to achieve the same effect. I spray-painted the disparate fuselage colors green (that blue-white plastic of the Revell Zero was almost blinding to look at!) and Photoshop-painted the canopy framing to see how it would all look. There is no PSR yet, but only the fuselage will need it (and not much of that, either, as the fit of parts is very good). The close-up photo exaggerates the wingspan a bit (the original Dinah wing would have touched the photo border or slightly beyond). I kinda wish I had assembled the engine/prop/spinner for the pic, as that would show almost everything except the destined color/markings.

But compare this to the "official" drawings a few posts below! The nose of my Zeb is a little fatter (not coming to such a point), but that is needed to house the armament (twice that of the drawing's), and to more closely approximate the engine cowl shape of the original Zero. I have come about as far as I can without "shop" work, which won't commence until mid-May, but the "essence" of Zeb is there!!

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Pablo1965

Nice plane and great concept. :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:

Taiidantomcat

fast progress!!  :thumbsup: Really cool looking too  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dumaniac

Hi Sequ

sorry for the confusion - just to clarify - and ps - I work in 48 scale Luft46 - I know lots work in 72 scale and I can see why

1) I am just finishing the 109 with twin jumo 004 jets - called the Me109 TL is some references.

2) I would like to build the twin prop version of the 109 - I have seen beautiful line drawings somewhere.  It would be similar to the Me110 but without the rear gunner and retain the 109 fuselage from the canopy back, and the wings of the 109.  I would use 2 sets of 109 wings and donks from the Me110.  I would put an enhanced gun bay in an extended nose (like a P38) - probably the similar array from the Me262 - Willy would like to keep it all in the family.

I can see how using the Me109 H would accelerate the project (in 72 scale).  There is no kit of the 109 H in 48 that I know of but I built a conversion of a H in 48 a few years ago.

Does that clarify my earlier ramblings?

sequoiaranger

dumaniac-->Does that clarify my earlier ramblings?<

Yes. Thanks. Didn't know you were a 1/48 guy!

>I am just finishing the 109 with twin jumo 004 jets - called the Me109 TL is some references.<

Yes. I know the 109TL. Good for you. I had thought of doing one, but it is no longer on my list.

>I would like to build the twin prop version of the 109 - I have seen beautiful line drawings somewhere.  It would be similar to the Me110 but without the rear gunner and retain the 109 fuselage from the canopy back, and the wings of the 109.<

This would be interesting. You should start a thread on it in "Current and Finished Projects--Aircraft". It's never too early!

dumaniac

Sequ

I haven't master starting a thread or posting an article yet - I always manage to stuff it up - they are on my to-do list

Question = what is worse that a 48 scale Luft 46 guy?

Answer = an old computer illiterate 48 scale Luft 46 guy

after the comp this weekend, I might give it another go

cheers

sotoolslinger

That is really a beautiful little mockup Tree :wub: :thumbsup: I can't wait til you can start puttying. :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sequoiaranger

>can't wait til you can start puttying<

I won't stop THINKING about this project, but actual work will have to halt for awhile. Thanks to Taiid, Tophe, Pablo, ysi, Sotool, and dumaniac for your comments. The mock-up photo emphasized the "trenches" in the Hasegawa wing tip--I think I will fill the grooves with white glue or CA to dampen the obvious "relief". The LS kit of the Dinah is rather smooth-surfaced, having fine detail. And the FIT!! The wing is just that--as if it were a regular Zero---no hint of engine or nacelle on top (a few guide marks underneath, as well as the wheel-well opening). When I put the wings on, the assembly looked like a "Zero Glider". Each nacelle is three parts, one on top of the wing, one on the bottom, and a face plate, and they fit together like a glove AND there will be no need of filler for the wing/nacelle interface (it was THAT good!).

>I haven't master starting a thread or posting an article yet<

Huh? You have posted here--all you need to do is, rather than hitting "reply", hit "new topic" and you have your thread!

The Wooksta!

Nice concept but I think the nose is just too blunt - too draggy.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic