Il-40 in Afghanistan FINISHED!

Started by frank2056, April 16, 2011, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

That paint scheme looks very authentic!  :o Nice bomb idea as well  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ed S

Interesting plane.  The camo helps tone down the "ugly" factor.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

frank2056

Thanks guys. This model is one reason why I love acrylics so much. I think I sprayed (and removed... )about three complete camo patterns before I settled on this one. I used up about 1/2 of a bottle of Vallejo Russian green in the process. They're small bottle, but the paint really covers well... so I went through a lot of paint.
It still needs an overcoat of clear flat to protect the decals (I used Future as a setting agent, hence the shiny spots) and of course, removing the canopy masking.

Ed -I think the fugly factor is what makes this such an attractive beast!

tc2324

That looks spot on.  :thumbsup:

A typical Russki design.. ;)
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pablo1965

I like that plane, well done.  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

frank2056

Thanks guys. I decided to see if the KAB-1000L was a real weapon and sure enough, it is. It looks more like a bigger version of the KAB-500L and not at all like mine, so it's definitely going to be a field tested prototype...

frank2056

I finally finished this beast. I can't say that it was a fun build.

Big nose!

Ground view with the KAB-1000L, rocket pods and the TV/targeting just above the nose of the KAB:

Side view with flash fill:

Thanks for looking!

Frank

sideshowbob9

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ed S

NICE!!!  Definitely a "jet-age" sturmovik.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tanktastic43

PYF42

Very good job with this incredible bird !
Fred

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder