Yet another slightly mad idea

Started by simmie, April 19, 2011, 04:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmie

Quote from: Mossie on June 11, 2011, 03:43:52 AM
IIRC, the Taurus was replacing the Perseus at this time, although it wasn't exactly well loved & didn't make it onto many aircraft types.

I hadn't thought of that one, mind you it does mean the you could sub Taurus with the P & W R-1830 Twin Wasp just like with the Bristol Beaufort.
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

simmie

O.K here is another one for you all to consider.

RAF coastal Command took on a number of ex Bomber Command types during the war, I.E

Wellington, Warwick, Whitley and Merlin Halifax.

But what about the Shorts Stirling??? 

Due to its bomb bay layout, it wasn't able to accomidate the larger bombs that were introduced as the war progressed.

Discussion welcome.

NARSES2

I know most of them were used to tow gliders but no reason I can think of why you can't have a CC one. Would look good in CC colours
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

An R-2600 powered Stirling II (140 were ordered from Canada, but were canceled in favor of Lancasters)
in Coastal Command colors would look good. One mooted Stirling II variant was to have cannon armed dorsal
and ventral turrets, a faired nose and pointed tail. Due to its excellent maneuverability the Stirling probably
would have made a decent anti-sub aircraft.

Martin H

I have long term plans for a coastal command Sterling :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

pyro-manic

Indeed, one of those "why didn't they do that?" ideas. :thumbsup: Cheek-mounted rocket rails, and bomb bays full of torpedoes or depth charges. Convert the wing bays to extra fuel tankage for longer range.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

simmie

Heres another one for the modelers and profilers out there.  and this one was a realy suggestion, not a product of my mind.

Imperial Airways were impressed by the Shorts Mayo composite aircraft, so they suggested a land plane version.

The mother aircraft was to the last 2 Armstrong Whitworth Ensigns, the upper componant was to be the Shorts Mercury without the floats.  Shorts drew a retractable undercarriage set up instead.