Main Menu

He 277

Started by Doc Yo, April 21, 2011, 05:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Yo

Right. Pause for contemplation, aaaaaaand-

Some progress on the whole, still a lot of psr ahead. Still uncertain about putting
a DFS 346 on top, or hanging a pair of awl-nosed Henschel rocket bombs below...

Besides,

I got distracted. Big push this weekend, aand yard work, I expect.

dumaniac

I like the progress on the He 277

and the look of that other thing - maybe I could do a 109 with the wing attachments

cheers

sequoiaranger

The engine cowl/wing interface looks like it came out fine.

Coming right along!

Is that a P-47H (super-pointy nose V-16 types)? If so, that was yet another "dream" whif I had to let go. Are those wingtip pods rocket-bearing like the F-89, or are they jets?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Doc Yo

RRRrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmjets! Somebody mentioned the post-war wingtip ramjet experiments, and I
thought if they looked good on a Mustang, they'd look pretty good on a Thunderbolt. The kit is the old MPM XP-47H, which I threw together
last weekend. The jets are cut down fishing bobbers/floats that looked the part. Its not a perfect kit-the wing at the root is maybe
5~10% larger than the corresponding fillet on the fuselage, but other than that, it goes together fairly nicely. If the weather co-operates, I'm going to try and get some Alclad on it this weekend.

RPadavan2

Keeping the political side out of it, this looks like an interesting build.  I look forward to seeing how it progresses and turns out.  And if you are really worried about the political side, you can always paint (sloppily)  over the marking and place decals from one of the allied powers to signify a craft captured at the end of the war.  Personally, I view this as a hobby.  Yes I build from both sides of the war, and yes I wonder "what if."  I just like seeing what creative minds can come up with, both in physical form, and hypothetical (and/or reality based) back story.

matrixone

Nice progress on your He 277, looks good!

Matrixone

Doc Yo

Its still aways from completion, I'm afraid. More PSR than I originally expected, and distractions. I'll finish it eventually, but I don't think I'll get it in in time, even with an extension.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Doc Yo on May 31, 2011, 08:10:09 PM
Its still aways from completion, I'm afraid. More PSR than I originally expected, and distractions. I'll finish it eventually, but I don't think I'll get it in in time, even with an extension.

I am in the same boat.  :-\
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Doc Yo

Still a few odd details and decal shy of finishing, but I got fairly close by Sunday evening.

The color is a bit off on this one, but its a nice angle.

At some point in the coming months, I'm probably going to soak the canopy off and try again-The smash-molding process isn't ideal
for pieces this size, and I overestimated my ability to simulate the framing. Still, not awful for an early effort. This represents a
long range reccon team, the DFS 346 being taken to optimum range by the Heinkel, which then skedaddles back to base. Thanks
for looking, and the next time I enter a GB, I will remember to put some pictures in the 'finished builds' thread... :banghead:
( Blasted absent-mindedness )

dumaniac

Interesting configuration - l like the 4 engines and the camo - nicely done

sequoiaranger

I like this one! The bulgy glass nose makes it look like a Praying Mantis. I like the "cloud" camo, too!

Did you sprinkle paprika all over your driveway for that first picture?  :lol:

I "photoshopped" the dark "blue" photo, took out the "blue", and here is the result:

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Green Dragon

Great job Doc, that cockpit glazing looks a hell of a lot better than all of my attempts at crash moulding!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Brian da Basher

That's one fantastic whiff and my hat's off to you, Do Yo!

What you said about smash-forming and canopy framing echoes my challenges.

Still, I think you put together an excellent model that could fool a few "experten".
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

frank2056

Craig, is that the Huma DFS-346? It was a great kit and mine went together in no time.

Did you paint the canopy framing? I don't know if you tried this, but I've made canopy frames by sanding the master smooth, then adding Tamiya tape to the master for the frames. It works well.

Frank