Some wrapped up projects

Started by Gary, June 09, 2004, 06:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_seventies

The purple swamphen!

i managed to breed 5 of those last breeding season - we keep them in a mixed wetlands exhibit with white backed ducks and painted storks (and very well they do there too!)

not much call for them from other zoos though, so we haven't tried especially hard to breed any this season as they are a pain to get rid off (but the audobon zoo just took a couple, along with a pair of abdims storks, ciconia abdimii, that i hand raised last year!).

in fact, there's a couple of recently blown purple swamphen eggs on my bookshelves in front of me as we speak (being dwarfed by emu and cassowary eggs).

incidentally, purple swamphens have some very VERY unusual courtship behaviour ya know.

*sighs a happy sigh*

i honestly thought i'd never see a swampy posted in this forum.

cheers mate!  :cheers:  :cheers:

***resident zookeepers bird fact of the day***  

The crop of a healthy emu feels like a big squidgy double d cup boob.

all the best boys,

ben  :ph34r:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

retro_seventies

hey, swampy and ratty...we could go all out birdy nerdy and have a bird thread, eh? :P  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

The Rat

Quotehey, swampy and ratty...we could go all out birdy nerdy and have a bird thread, eh? :P
Too busy for that at the moment. I've got an Ivory-billed Woodpecker banging on the elm tree, a Bachman's Warbler in the birdbath, a Passenger Pigeon under the feeder and a Carolina Parakeet trying to get at my peanut stash. Ooh, just got a call on the hotline that a Labrador Duck has been seen in Toronto harbour.

Ah, the joys of living on two intersecting flyways!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

retro_seventies

not that any of those will be doing much flying anymore :(

Swamphen

QuoteI've got an Ivory-billed Woodpecker banging on the elm tree, a Bachman's Warbler in the birdbath, a Passenger Pigeon under the feeder and a Carolina Parakeet trying to get at my peanut stash. Ooh, just got a call on the hotline that a Labrador Duck has been seen in Toronto harbour.
You think that's impressive? Pah! Some dodo ;) dumped some fish carcasses in the creek down the road and even as I type the local pteryadactyls are having an all-you-can-eat!  :D

Seriously, my Life List now stands at 302 (301 in Florida), and the Year List at 216 (FL:215)...

Captain Canada

The coolest bird I've ever seen in these parts ( sunny southwestern Ontario ) was an albino Barn Swallow ! Sure stuck out from his mates !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

The coolest bird I've seen lately was the one in hot pants and crop top in St Jame's Park at lunchtime ! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

QuoteThe coolest bird I've seen
birds from my site http://cmeunier.chez.tiscali.fr/asym_dahu_aeroUK.htm
 Not bad either, no ?
Not real, of course, but what if...?
(and Siamese birds do exist, they just cannot fly...)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

nev

I think I saw a sparrow today :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Swamphen

Tophe -  :lol:

Nev - but what kind of sparrow? House? Chipping? Song? Savannah, Vesper, Tree, White-throated? Or one of the other 59 species of Sparrow (Emberizidae) recorded in North America north of Mexico, plus the two Eurasian weavers(Passeridae)...?

We need exact details, mano!!  :wacko:

Captain Canada

It was probably the Beer Bellied Pot Pie Sparrow...very common in mirrors around Nev's part of the country.

:o  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?