O

Vertical Empires - Post your build ideas here for discussion.

Started by Overkiller, April 26, 2011, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

^ Yeah, Overkiller said!  :thumbsup:

The whole set-up reminds me a lot of the Bartini VVA-14 (CLICKY!), which is not a bad thing at all. very impressive beast!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

:blink:Awwww gosh dangit I actually have multiple 1/72  Catalinas so I could make it a floater :unsure: :wacko:
Why would you do this to me :drink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

MiB

Ehi, sotoolslinger, after your Supa Choppa, and waiting for this new model (twin A-10 + H-60 + Hind) now I'm your official fan! :thumbsup:  :bow: :cheers: :tornado:

P.S.: seriously...S.H.I.E.L.D. or S.H.A.D.O.  ;) ;D
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

sotoolslinger

Yeah  :unsure: Well wait till I make this next monstrosity into a floatplane :blink: then we'll see whether you want to declare yourself a fan ;) ;D :rolleyes: :lol: :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

RotorheadTX

That one has a strong Bartini vibe to me; if you're going to build it when you build it, please consider attaching Red stars.  :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Cliffy B on April 28, 2011, 01:40:19 PM
HOLY AWESOME ON A STICK!!!!!!!!!

BUILD IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seconded!  :thumbsup: brilliant idea  :o
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Thiel

Found a suitable donor copter, a OH-58D Kiowa. A second A-37 should arrive next week, so I might just end up doing a tilt rotor version as well.

jsport

A twin A-10 able to air drop a 'fold-out rotor' BlackHind would be super swingin :thumbsup: :bow:.

Weaver

Quote from: Overkiller on April 29, 2011, 12:34:48 AM
The above picture is the AW-171 VTOL research aircraft design study, now for a long time I've been kicking round the idea of scaling this idea up a bit, say to about TSR-2-ish size, for the same role as the TSR-2. Centrally mounted weapons bay to carry something that makes an appropriately large enough bang  :wacko: (Red Beard, or maybe it's less well known offshoot, Orange Stubble....  :rolleyes:  ;D ), and twin lift engine bays mounted either fore and aft of the weapons bay, or on either side of it.

:cheers:

Duncan

IIRC there was a TSR.2 shape studied by EE in the early days that was basically similar, i.e. an ultra low aspect-ratio blended delta with engines on the tips.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

OR, the "VTOL penalty" could be that you have to replace a free-fall bomb in a bomb bay with a stand-off missile (Blue Water?) carried conformally, for both volume and range reasons.

Spread the lift bays apart with "kneeling" undercarriage behind them, fit twin tails on the engine pods, then carry the missile in a trough on top of the fuselage, using the kneeling u/c to help load it, the thinking being that the temperature/accoustic environment between two rows of intakes is going to be a hell of a lot more benign thann that between two rows of exhausts.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Overkiller on April 26, 2011, 03:09:36 PM
3. Shorts Helivan.

For Patchwork World, this would be a Skyvan fuselage turned into a helicopter by the addition of two Huey rotors in Kaman "eggbeater" style. Engines would be pen-top pods on the former wing root positions. The tail fins would certaily be inverted and might be given extra surfaces as per Kamov designs. It would be cargo-configured in Cheshire paramilitary "government airline" colours, possibly with a small ground vehicle being deployed from it.

This one FTW Harold!  :thumbsup:  :wub:

:cheers:

Duncan

Okay, I've decided that I'm doing this one, because it fits with the PW builds I'm supposed to be doing instead of GBs. With the Ship GB going at the same time though, it's unlikely I'll do any of the others.

Having opened the box, I've just belatedly remembered that the kit is part started (by the previous owner). No glueing's been done, just a bit of painting and prep as follows:

Crew seats, control columns, cockpit bulkhead and tires painted black. I AM using these parts, though I may repaint some or all of them.

Cargo floor drilled for passenger seats. I'll actually have to fill/cover this.... :rolleyes:

Civilian crew, passenger seats and engine exhausts painted. I am NOT using any these parts anyway.

I hope that'll be okay? I won't be starting until next week, as model-den sorting out, possible newjob and a bike rally will get in the way.

Passenger seats painted

- Indiana Jones

Hobbes

I'd like to take part in this GB, but lack inspiration. I've got a few kits in the stash that would apply: several Harriers, Do-31, Yak-141, P.1216.

I got the Do-31 out for a quick look. I could do a production version, using e.g. a Transall color scheme.

Mossie

I'm wondering wether to attempt this in 1/72:

It's the Hawker Siddeley Helicrane HL, I posted three views back on the inspiration thread for all the Helicrane designs.  I created a master to cast the blades & cut a couple of discs from an E-2 rotordome but that was it, no construction.

I stalled when I couldn't work out how to make the egg like crew pod.  The obvious choice was a MD500/OH-6 cabin but it's too tall (and you'd spot it's origin easily).  A Gazelle cabin scales well & might work with a bit of chopping & attention to the rear, although I let my kit go and I'll have to find another.  An Alouette II cabin might also work, but I don't know of a kit that isn't fantastically expensive.  Sharkit's forthcoming Edgley Optica might work but again it's likely to be dear.  Thorvic pointed me in the direction of Unicraft's Airspeed AS.31, but it's too narrow (single seat).  There are a few helicopters that might work but aren't kitted.    Gazelle is looking the most likely, but anyone else got any ideas?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Thanks Martin!  It's definately an option although I think it's oop at the moment, at least I can't find one from a quick web search.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.