O

Vertical Empires - Post your build ideas here for discussion.

Started by Overkiller, April 26, 2011, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

Been discussing building the Big Wing Harrier with Thorvic.  I'll probably go the RN route on this one.  I've also got a one of those fantastic Freightdog Hawker P.1154s that I might chicken out on and go RAF. 
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

kitnut617

Quote from: Green Dragon on April 26, 2011, 05:10:36 PM
Think I'll be able to join in with a Quad Tilt Rotor that I've been planning for a while using 1/72nd C-160's or C130's (or both combined) for the fuselage and 1/48th V-22's for the forward wings, engines & props. Can't find one of my V-22 kits so may have to learn mould making and resin casting!
BTW does anyone know which is the least accurate C-130 kit from the Airfix, Italeri or Esci ones? The worst one will get chopped up!

Paul Harrison

Something I started a few years back, I found you don't need 1/48 V-22 wings and engines to do a 1/72 QTR Paul, just two sets of 1/72 ones works.

From what I've read on this site:

http://72nd.webs.com/aircraft/Lockheed/C-130.htm

and scroll to the bottom, the C-130 kits all have a problem
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Quote from: Thorvic on April 27, 2011, 04:20:59 AM
Quote from: McColm on April 27, 2011, 02:49:10 AM
I'll think I'll stick to something less scarier and go for a four turboprop engined Neptune or Convair King Fisher.
Using the spare wing/engine section from my Nimmet project the Shorts Sunderland could be turned into something along the lines of the Princess cancelled project.

And how is this VTOL ? :unsure:
Lifting jets will be added to the wing or I was thinking of using the main rotor from the Jolly Green Giant HH-53 (or something larger in 1/48 scale), two of these using the same shaft, contrarotating-for lift and jets for power. (Autogyro layout) Might need to rearrange the tail section and place spontoons to house the main under carriage.

Green Dragon

Quote from: Thiel on April 27, 2011, 02:29:24 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 27, 2011, 12:27:16 AM
Speaking of lift fans, may I respectfully draw the board's attention to Evil Mushroom's resin lift fans, which may prove particularly relevent to this GB:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,28009.0/highlight,mushroom.html
Just ordered two sets. I'm not sure if I'm going to use them, but I'm sure they'll come in handy at some point.
I've got a few sets of these too that are probably getting fitted to a CH-46 or 47 fuselage when I get round to it. Might do one of those old Bell designs with ducted fans.

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 27, 2011, 07:13:53 AM
Quote from: Green Dragon on April 26, 2011, 05:10:36 PM
Think I'll be able to join in with a Quad Tilt Rotor that I've been planning for a while using 1/72nd C-160's or C130's (or both combined) for the fuselage and 1/48th V-22's for the forward wings, engines & props. Can't find one of my V-22 kits so may have to learn mould making and resin casting!
BTW does anyone know which is the least accurate C-130 kit from the Airfix, Italeri or Esci ones? The worst one will get chopped up!

Paul Harrison

Something I started a few years back, I found you don't need 1/48 V-22 wings and engines to do a 1/72 QTR Paul, just two sets of 1/72 ones works.

From what I've read on this site:

http://72nd.webs.com/aircraft/Lockheed/C-130.htm

and scroll to the bottom, the C-130 kits all have a problem

Thanks for the info Kitnut!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

kitnut617

Quote from: Green Dragon on April 27, 2011, 11:20:47 AM

Thanks for the info Kitnut!

Paul Harrison

What you will need is a third wing Paul, the front wing needs a small extention, and the rear wing needs a longer extention and the third wing provides enough for both.  I think I worked it out that 1/2" is needed on each side for the front wing because the prop tips will hit the rounder fuselage of either the C160 or C-130 if you don't, then I was planning on using what was left to extend the rear wing on each side.  Whatever happens though, the wings have to be spaced just over 6" (152mm) apart front to back, as the 1/72 V-22 props are 6" diameter.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Thiel

Anyway, what would you guys suggest for a donor copter? I have an OH-6 in the stash, but I think the rotor is on the small side.
I've considered a huey rotor, but I'd like to have a few more blades. Any ideas? Preferably a cheap kit. If you have a spare rotor of a suitable size left over from some other build, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I'd even spend some of my hard earned money on it.

Spey_Phantom

ive got the revell 1/78 Fairey Rotodyne somewhere in the stash, might have a go at an RAF machine :)
furthermore i also have a 1/100 YAK-38 Forder, and 1/72 Dauphin and AH-1T somewhere, could enter one of those aswell, if i finish what i have on the bench now  :-\
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

That reminds me: I've got a Revell Rotodyne too, which I was thinking of doing in Oxfam colours (since I got it from them at a very reasonable price).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

My idea is nice and simple....... P1154 Supersonic Harrier which I have in my stash

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sideshowbob9

I have some plans for some VTOL stuff that I may or may not get round to entering:

Fairchild-Hiller X-18B - tilt-wing C-119 fuselage
Rockwell FV-12B (F-4 based)
Lockheed SV-4E Hummingbird (S-3 based ASW hoverjet)
Bristol Bedivere - (Bristol Freighter based helicopter - think Wessex writ large)

Weaver

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on April 27, 2011, 03:35:42 PM
Bristol Bedivere - (Bristol Freighter based helicopter - think Wessex writ large)

That had crossed my mind too, but I saw it as a giant CH-37 Mojave (they're actually not that far apart in dimensions and weights). :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Planes with potential for converting to helicopters (and with available kits):

Shorts Skyvan
Bristol Freighter
Dornier Do.28
Dornier Do.228
Airspeed Horsa (tandem rotor)
Gotha Go.242/244

Feel free to add....

- Indiana Jones

McColm

Tilting jets like the Ryan cancelled project, yes they would fit in well.

sotoolslinger

So I threatened this when I first began concept development on SuperChopper :wacko:I got lots o leftover parts from the build and for some reason 8000 A-10S
So VSTOL ground attack AC taped together mockup

UH-60 fuselage(no tail ,rotor replaced with 4 barrel 50 cal turret) 2 A-10 fuselages and outer wings) Left over tail rotors from -60 and Hinds for vertical lift at wingtips and tail ,liftjets where the A-10 cockpits used to be and the outer Thunderbolt engines wil be vectored thrust :wacko: :unsure: :blink: :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Cliffy B

HOLY AWESOME ON A STICK!!!!!!!!!

BUILD IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous