Main Menu
O

Requiem for a Rocket Fighter: - The Saunders Roe P177N Fleet Fighter

Started by Overkiller, April 30, 2011, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on June 26, 2011, 04:07:40 AM

1. HTP reacts violently with water: do you really want a damn great tank of it in an aircraft carrier, no matter how well protected?

I don't think so.......

The ground crews flooded the area with water to counteract any spills when it was used in the Blue Steel and (as T-Stoff) in the Me-163. HTP reacts with other catalysts to produce steam and oxygen, the catalysts can be many things, including something as innocuous as a handkerchief. The Navy used HTP as a fuel in two submarines at one time, the Excalibur and Explorer. OK, they didn't work that well but using it in a submarine would not indicate that it didn't mix with water!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 26, 2011, 12:00:22 PM
Quote from: Weaver on June 26, 2011, 04:07:40 AM

1. HTP reacts violently with water: do you really want a damn great tank of it in an aircraft carrier, no matter how well protected?

I don't think so.......

The ground crews flooded the area with water to counteract any spills when it was used in the Blue Steel and (as T-Stoff) in the Me-163. HTP reacts with other catalysts to produce steam and oxygen, the catalysts can be many things, including something as innocuous as a handkerchief. The Navy used HTP as a fuel in two submarines at one time, the Excalibur and Explorer. OK, they didn't work that well but using it in a submarine would not indicate that it didn't mix with water!

Sorry, yes, you're quite right: water dilutes it (I was getting confused with something else). Nevertheless, it remains a highly reactive substance which is dangerous when in contact with a wide range of common materials. It's accidental release on a an open rocket launch pad is quite dangerous enough: the possibility of it being released into the closed, complex and densely-packed environment of a carrier represents an appalling risk in my view.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones