AH-37 Lightweight Attack Helicopter

Started by Thiel, May 01, 2011, 04:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

REally cool!! The clothes pins make me think "Floats"
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Thiel

But where does the wizz-bang go then?   ;)

GTX

Coming along nicely.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Stargazer

Going really well so far. Keep up the good work!!  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Looks good!  :thumbsup:

Are you going to cut the tail down a bit? Rotor clearance looks pretty marginal....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Thiel

Quote from: Weaver on May 13, 2011, 06:14:01 PM
Looks good!  :thumbsup:

Are you going to cut the tail down a bit? Rotor clearance looks pretty marginal....
Yup, it has already been done, though I have yet to photograph it.
I've yet to decide whether I'll go for a conventional tail or NoTaR.

All in all I think it needs one more round of sanding before I apply the primer.

Thiel

I've cut down the tail.
Next I'll fit NOTAR nozzles on the tail and the horizontal tailplanes, then a layer of primer.

Thiel

My camera is on the friz again so no pics.
I've fitted the tail planes and the NOTAR nozzles and they are now awaiting PSR.
Once that's done it's time for the first round of primer. If the weather holds out I should be able to do that tomorrow.

Stargazer

Sounds fun! But if I were to fly in one of those, I'd be dead scared that my seat is so close to the rotor!  :-\

Taiidantomcat

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Thiel

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on May 17, 2011, 03:22:35 PM
Sounds fun! But if I were to fly in one of those, I'd be dead scared that my seat is so close to the rotor!  :-\
Well, you can't have everything.  ;D
I wanted to keep the nose and engine fairings intact since they are what gives the A-37 its looks.

Thiel

First layer of primer has gone on and it's a complete disaster.   :banghead:
Aside from the expected flaws it revealed, the paint turned knobbly.
I've never had that result before. Does anyone hvae any advice as to how I prevent it from happening again with the next layer? I use Belton Hit Color rattle cans.

Anyway, bring on the sandpaper!

Taiidantomcat

I think it is the paint drying too quickly before it hits the model. You could hold the can closer, or it just may be an old or defective can. Sorry for the setback  :banghead:

Thiel

It's okay. A light sanding seems to have cured it.
I've added another round of putty.

Thiel

Second layer of primer went on today and it's an even bigger disaster than the first time!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
This time the paint isn't turning knobbly, instead the pigment and the thinner isn't mixing. And yes, I did shake the can before use.

I think I can fix it. The can is going out with the trash though, and I'll see if I can't scrounge up another brand in town.