Bristol Blenheim

Started by tomo pauk, May 05, 2011, 08:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomo pauk

Blenheim with Merlins 'stead of Mercuries, along with Boulton Paul turret (both to cancel out the increased forward weight, and to provide some serious fire power). RAF's Ju-88 :D

QUESTION: how do I attach pictures?

Pablo1965

some ideas, may be an american engine an one seat.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

or an landing gear in the nose...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Wooksta!

Any Merlin installation in the Blenheim would be along the same line as that adopted by the Beaufighter.  You can't just bolt a Merlin in place of the Mercury as the thrust line would be a lot higher, resulting in a lot of handling problems.  Another is the way the prop rotates - did the Merlin have the same rotation as the Mercury?

In fact, the Merlins might be too powerful for the airframe - the Hercules was considered but rejected for the Blanheim V.  It's one conversion I did have a think about.  A Merlin Beaufort was considered.  I have thought about either a Taurus Blenheim or using the same engines that the Aussies used on the Beaufort on an Aussie Blenheim.

As for the turret - Bristol made their own for the Blenheim and later the Buckingham.  I can't see the Boulton Paul one being used when they were needed for the Skua and the Defiant.

That Blenheim/P38 hybrid is quite frankly awful.  Aerodynamics all to cock with that and the u/c is an engineer's worst nightmare. Unless he's German, in which case he'd say it was too simple.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

tomo pauk

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 05, 2011, 09:37:40 AM
Any Merlin installation in the Blenheim would be along the same line as that adopted by the Beaufighter.

Indeed - a Beaufighter before Beaufighter :)

QuoteYou can't just bolt a Merlin in place of the Mercury as the thrust line would be a lot higher, resulting in a lot of handling problems.  Another is the way the prop rotates - did the Merlin have the same rotation as the Mercury?

This is the general idea to upgrade Blenheim into something more powerfull, feasible before WW2.

QuoteIn fact, the Merlins might be too powerful for the airframe - the Hercules was considered but rejected for the Blanheim V.

The Merlins I have in mind were the early ones, with 1030 HP and slightly more. Hercules was perhaps 1500 HP capable, in the time of Blenheim V?

QuoteIt's one conversion I did have a think about.  A Merlin Beaufort was considered.  I have thought about either a Taurus Blenheim or using the same engines that the Aussies used on the Beaufort on an Aussie Blenheim.

Twin Wasp Blenheim seems like a cool idea :)

QuoteAs for the turret - Bristol made their own for the Blenheim and later the Buckingham.  I can't see the Boulton Paul one being used when they were needed for the Skua and the Defiant.

(typo - Roc, not Skua :) )
Any good turret is fine; I do like BP one though. Plus, perhaps using it at a (on a paper, at least) more usable plane would've been better?

GTX

I've been thinking of some RAAF or RNZAF Blenheims - both Mk1s and follow ons in SEA service in the early part of the war...maybe as a stop gap pending delivery of the first Beauforts.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

raafif

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 05, 2011, 09:37:40 AM
A Merlin Beaufort was considered.

did this --
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Wooksta!

That's pretty much was I was thinking of, although in RAF rather than RAAF markings.  There's a Highplanes Beaufort in the stash and a spare set of Lancaster outer nacelles to have a bash at it.  Highplanes also did a Merlin Beaufighter so that'd give me a template for the u/c cutouts.

Although the Special Hobby kit may be an easier starting point, especially as the nacelles are separate.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

raafif

I just stuck the HiPlanes Beaufighter II wings straight onto the Beaufort.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

Quote from: raafif on May 11, 2011, 06:05:39 PM
I just stuck the HiPlanes Beaufighter II wings straight onto the Beaufort.

Which should work.  Afterall, the Beaufighter was essentially made using Beaufort wings and a new fuselage.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitbasher

Does any know of a handy source of information regarding Blenheim serial numbers?  Ideally something available online downloadable if possible, ideally searchable?

Alternatively something in print?

Or does one of you have info that can be discussed by PM?

Asking to aid/inform research into a RW modelling idea.

Thanks in advance.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

The Graham Warner tome, The Bristol Blenheim - A Complete History, is probably the best I can think of. And I distrust any Richard Franks Datafiles as he's short on accuracy and high on pretty pictures. His Mosquito books are riddled with errors.

Said book has the serials listed, including Finland and Canada. Mention of Yugoslav production but no serial numbers.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

jcf

I have the Putnam Bristol Aircraft since 1910 which contains appendices of Bristol aircraft production by type, constructor number and service serials - RAF and others, or civil registration. This includes production under license by other contractors.

Which Blenheim info are you after? Go ahead and drop me a PM.

Cheers, Jon

PR19_Kit

Try here, https://www.ukserials.com/

You can take a wild guess and then fine tune the search using 'Ctrl-F'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 22, 2023, 12:47:09 PMTry here, https://www.ukserials.com/

You can take a wild guess and then fine tune the search using 'Ctrl-F'.

Ah yes, forget about that site.  Thanks Kit.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter