Pan Am Airship in 1/888-ish scale

Started by Brian da Basher, May 10, 2011, 01:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

With the end of W.W. II, the need for fast, efficient long-range passenger transport became apparent. Unfortunately, none of the major aircraft prodcers were able to meet the enormous demand. Fortunately, the old Goodyear-Zeppeling Co. had an answer. Mating a large helium-filled airship with the new jet-engine technology was the answer many long-haul carriers were seeking. Juan Trippe at Pan Am was the first to take the plunge and started using the new Goodyear-Zeppelin Jetship on their New York to Buenos Aires and New York to London routes in 1948. Pasengers were amazed at the incredibly smooth ride and Pan Am was amazed at the incredibly low cost of .005 cents (.0003 farthings) per pound of payload per mile. Soon all the other major long-haul airlines followed Pan Am's example and jet-powered lighter-than-air craft became ubiquitous in the post-war skies.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

This is my first started and completed in 2011 whiff. The base kit is a 1/350 U.S.S. Chicago sub. The engines are from a 1/200 DC-8 and the gondola is from an old seaplane float. The fins and rudders were cut from plastic card. If the main Pan Am titles seem a bit askew, that's because they're 45 year old decals from the vintage DC-8 kit and they were gonna stay where they first landed.

Brian da Basher

Mossie

Da Basher's back!  Fatastic airship Bri, looks great! :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

wow!!
Any chance of a naval version?

Weaver

Excellent!   :thumbsup:

All the way through reading the first post I was trying to guess what you'd made it from - completely wrong on every score! :rolleyes: ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sotoolslinger

Fantastic return BdaB :thumbsup: So glad to see you back :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ysi_maniac

A little point: IMO front and rear engines should not be in-line.

Otherwise:
Great model, idea and concept! :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

deathjester

WOW!!!!  What a machine (needs jaw - drop smiley!)  Absoloutley perfect - but where's the spats???!   :cheers:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous