The model that took 13 months

Started by Brian da Basher, May 13, 2011, 06:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

This is a project I started in April of 2010. I just got it finished a few days ago, That's a total of 13 months.  :o A new record in sloth for me.

The base kit is a 1/200 DC-8 I got literally for pocket change because the wings were missing. Of course, little details like that never stopped me. I grafted on the wings and horiz. stabs. from a 1/72 Dauntless (thanks, Anthony!) and then added the center tail from a 1/144 Boeing 314 Clipper and engines from a 1/144 DC-3 to come up with the Boeing 327. Here's some shots prior to painting.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The mood was grim at Boeing when their 247 airliner became an also-ran once the Douglas DC-3 hit the market. The folks at Boeing aren't the type to take defeat laying down, so they improved their 247 with a complete redesign and the Boeing 327 was born. The new airliner had a longer, more streamlined fuselage which could hold 98 passengers and a wider, longer wing which offered outstanding low-speed and short landing performance. Unfortunately, W.W. II put the Boeing 327 on ice...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

These photos show the Boeing 327 in house colors prior to her unsuccessful test flight. Unfortunately, a mechanic named Reuben left his sandwich inside a wheel well and the sauerkraut and dressing fouled a landing gear actuator. Technicians couldn't determine the cause of the failure and the Boeing 327 was relegated to a corner of the back lot of the Boeing test facility until discovered by an employee of the Smithsonian who was looking to round out the collection at the Udvar-Hazy center in 2009. The Boeing test pilot, James "Jester" Deuce was amazed when the ancient landing gear actuator functioned flawlessly after a spritz of Goo-Be-Gone. Jester Deuce flew the 327 to the Udvar-Hazy center and established a new trans-continental speed record for twin-piston engined aircraft in the process. It remains there today, proudly on display only a few blocks from Reuben's Sandwich Shack where one can get a delicious reuben for only pocket change.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

reddfoxx

Funny, and awesome.  I would never have guessed DC-8 fuselage.  Overall, kinda reminds me of a P-3, kinda like a Martin 4-0-4, and of course reminiscent of the 247.  Cool!

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Brian da Basher on May 13, 2011, 06:50:38 AM
... I got literally for pocket change because the wings were missing. Of course, little details like that never stopped me...
This is the kind of whiffery I love! :wub: :thumbsup:

BTW: Nice airliner. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

sequoiaranger

...the 327 can actuate the perforated "Dauntless" dive brakes upon landing and help slow the plane down to the terminal!!  ;D

Good job, as we have come to expect from you, Brian.

PS--I think I recognize the wing as the old Hawk (Testors) SBD.  I just snagged the tail off one for my Twin-Engined Zero, myself.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Taiidantomcat

I like it!! Its always so great to complete one after so long  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Great job!

Seeing this model reminds me of some of the designs the Germans were thinking about for airliners to be built post war.

Matrixone

kitbasher

Hooray!  Da Basher is back in style!!
13 months - is that all?  I've a Fujimi Phantom that still needs painting after 12 years, and an Airfix Jet Provost T4 (based on the T3 kit) that's still not done after about 20 years!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

GTX

Another wonderful creation!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

Must agree. Beautiful AC. Glad you finally finished her :thumbsup: :wub: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Worth every minute! :thumbsup:

Nice to see you back Brian!   :drink: :party:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Brian, you're a machine I says, a machine!!!  :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

That's a really nice looking aeroplane Brian  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

John Howling Mouse

Perfectly captures that competent feel of the era.  With the gaps like that between window sets, do you imagine it having sleeping berths, etc.?  Very nicely rendered!   :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.