Libyan WHIF's

Started by grumpybadger, May 14, 2011, 09:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Now THAT is what I call getting Technical.

Hat, Coat, Gone.

Aside - they're exhibiting some really interesting concepts, and the ingenuity is spectacular.  The 57mm rocket pods on the trucks are a little humorous but still interesting.  I'd thought of bolting a ZPU-4 on the back of a flatbed before in roleplaying situations, as it would make a rather effective weapon in some situations - I can imagine the enemy helos would not like to be on the receiving end of that thing.  The ZU-23-2's (I think) on the pickups are pretty impressive.  They're doing a very impressive job of stealing and repairing anything they can.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

I like the one with the road-warrior armour - very Mad Max!  :thumbsup:

(Wonder what it'll actually stop though, since it's almost certainly just mild-steel plate...)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

grumpybadger

Quote from: Weaver on July 17, 2011, 07:34:43 AM
I like the one with the road-warrior armour - very Mad Max!  :thumbsup:

(Wonder what it'll actually stop though, since it's almost certainly just mild-steel plate...)

Oh, not much probably...but it makes them feel protected so it helps build confidence (essential to a all volunteer operation like this).

Sauragnmon

Considering most of it seems to be sloped at some angle or another, it would likely deflect most stuff that isn't an autocannon, and maybe a few lucky shots from those.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

grumpybadger

Ok, here's another one...this time its a BMP-1 turret on either a M577 or a M113 with a DIY extension:

rickshaw

Could be an early M577 - they were literally boxes welded on top of standard M113s.  Later ones had especially built hull sides without the weld lines.  Bit difficult to tell but I think the slot on the side is non-standard so I suspect its some sort of modified M113 rather than a modified M577.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

Does the turret really need to occupy that much internal height?

Philippine has a similar contraption with a Scorpion turret without that much added hull height.

But then of course, if all they had are a few M577, that's what'll be the basis.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Old Wombat

I'd suggest an old M577 variant or a locally produced copy.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Libyan innovation:

http://www.innovationnewsdaily.com/libyan-rebels-military-robot-2056/

Robot gun carrier, remote weapon station and shoulder-fired aircraft rocket (hope it's got  good face-shield!)... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Can't find a pic of it on the web, but there was an interesting rig on TV the other night. It was the usual Technical configuration, but the launcher in the back had about ten small rocket tubs in two rows, AND a pair of AT-3 ATGWs mounted on top of it! Couldn't see if they actually had the control box wired up or if they were firing the Saggers as unguided rockets, but AT-3 is notably simple....

- Indiana Jones

raafif

the rebels have been watching StarWars .....

the SandCrawler

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

ChernayaAkula

^ "OOTINI!"

In related news, German TV news had some footage of what looks like a Ratel IFV with a rocket pod added to the turret.

Screen cap taken from "Tagesthemen" online version.

Very interesting, as Lybia was not a known operator of the Ratel. Elsewhere on the net (CLICKY!), it has been suggested that the Ratels come from or were procured by Qatar.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

They showed a piccie of that vehicle on the Beeb news this morning too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

grumpybadger

Yep, the current theory is that Qatar supplied a few Ratels (without armament) to the NTC...the first clue was the presence of a Qatari flag on the vehicle.  Considering their unarmed state, the rocket seems the least crazy thing the rebels have done to arm them.

Like this in fact, looks like a ZPU on top of Ratel 20 IFV:

grumpybadger

Ok, here's another odd ball for y'all:

It would seem that the kaddafi loyalists added the sheepskins prior to it being captured by the rebels.