The "other" PBJ B-25. Hungry yet? LOL!

Started by seadude, May 14, 2011, 03:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I think you want the AIRCRAFT part to be reasonably "authentic"---the dark green and gray is suitable (EXACT colors irrelevant, IMHO). I would suggest the markings be the "bandage"-type (just more colorful) Homeland Defense markings--wide white stripe with the Hinomaru inside on the upper wings and fuselage sides. Tail markings are your option. Then I would paint the "teeth" as shown below (rudimentary "photoshopping"). That is, I think you WANT the red gums and white teeth showing (and it fits with the colors of the "bandage" markings) but not the "palate".

Anyhoo, that's my $.02.

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

seadude

Quote from: sequoiaranger on January 29, 2012, 09:44:07 AM
I think you want the AIRCRAFT part to be reasonably "authentic"---the dark green and gray is suitable (EXACT colors irrelevant, IMHO). I would suggest the markings be the "bandage"-type (just more colorful) Homeland Defense markings--wide white stripe with the Hinomaru inside on the upper wings and fuselage sides. Tail markings are your option. Then I would paint the "teeth" as shown below (rudimentary "photoshopping"). That is, I think you WANT the red gums and white teeth showing (and it fits with the colors of the "bandage" markings) but not the "palate".
Anyhoo, that's my $.02.

That does look pretty good. ;) Do you have any thoughts for the bottom of the aircraft/mouth, or how the aircraft/teeth might be viewed from the side? Feel free to show another photoshoped pic if you have to.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Sticky Fingers

How about a tailfin flash, like this:

but with a fork, instead of an arrow?

sequoiaranger

>That does look pretty good.  Do you have any thoughts for the bottom of the aircraft/mouth, or how the aircraft/teeth might be viewed from the side?<

Same look as the top, only with u/s gray. I suggest the side-view be all red gums and white teeth.

seadude

sequoiaranger:  Here's three more pics for review if you have any other opinions/suggestions.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

sequoiaranger

...as if the whole "thing" were a combat aircraft, but leave the teeth and surrounding gums alone.

Just my sugggestion.

seadude

Ok, I made "spinning" props from Evergreen 015" thick clear plastic sheet, then roughed it up with sandpaper to give the illusion of a spinning effect. But I still want to add more detail. I'm not sure how to best explain next what I want to say, but how do I add the effect of spinning black props on the discs? Should I drybrush some black strokes on the discs to represent the spinning blades? And if I do, Should it be done on both sides of the disc? I see people make 1/700 and 1/350 "spinning props" all the time for aircraft for carrier kits, but I've never done anything larger myself. What's the best way to give these discs more detail?

sequoiaranger

Really, the best way to answer your own questions is to EXPERIMENT. You are the one who has to please your tastes. I would take HIGHLY-thinned black paint and put on the disc three faint "props", wider than the prop itself, and make the "leading edge" of the "prop" a little less translucent than the "trailing edge". You want a "blur" look.

seadude

Sneak peek!  :blink:  ;D

I had a friend make a wood display base for me so that I could decorate it as a table place setting. My idea is this:
Have the PBJ B-25 supported (by a straw rod) above a glass of milk. Have the enemy mouth aircraft supported above a jar of jelly on the left. The white spatula/knife in the pic is what I'll use to support the mouth aircraft. I'll cover the wood "table" with a red and white checkered table covering. The enemy would be coming in from behind and to the left of the PBJ and slightly high, and would be in a dive to make it look like it is on an attack run for a final bite.  ;D White sponge "crumbs" and PBJ splatter and broken B-25 bits would be on the plate to act as crumbs once I put a bite mark in the B-25 with my Dremel tool.

kerick

The best way I've heard of painting a prop disc is to mask off the black or silver part and spray as fine a line as you can for the leading edge of each prop blade.  Spray a more feathered edge for the trailing edge.  If you use an unsanded disc you can paint one side.  Now remask and spray the same way for the yellow or white red white prop tips.  Use a circle template or similar for the prop hub.  Cut the tip of the prop hub off the kit part and place in the center of the disc if not using a spinner.  Time consuming but can be pretty convincing.  Hope this helps.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

seadude

I think I've found a better idea for my spinning props for my B-25. ;) But I'm really not sure if I'll buy the product. :(
Has anyone heard of a product called PropBlur? Or has anyone ever bought and used the product before? Anyone have any Pros, Cons, or other tips for it's use?
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1801-1900/rev1848-PropBlur-48/00.shtm
http://www.propblur.com/

Mossie

I'd suggest cutting out similar shapes onto clear plastic, then use washes & clear paints to produce the see-through effect.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dork the kit slayer

Thats coming along well. Sorry I have no tips for spinning prop but must express a predilection towards just cutting off the blades.

One tip that may help :-\ is dont ever mix Tamiya acrylics with jam/jelly. Plays havoc with your airbrush    :wacko: and is very hard to clean.(Im speaking from experience here)  :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

NARSES2

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on February 16, 2012, 02:11:23 AM
One tip that may help :-\ is dont ever mix Tamiya acrylics with jam/jelly. Plays havoc with your airbrush    :wacko: and is very hard to clean.(Im speaking from experience here)  :cheers:

Think you may have missed an apointment again Dork  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

>One tip that may help is dont ever mix Tamiya acrylics with jam/jelly. Plays havoc with your airbrush and is very hard to clean.(Im speaking from experience here)<

Your "attendant" was in the loo at the time?