The "other" PBJ B-25. Hungry yet? LOL!

Started by seadude, May 14, 2011, 03:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dork the kit slayer

Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

seadude

I can understand that some folks would rather prefer for me to use clear discs and paint the blurred blades on them to create a spinning effect, but I don't own an airbrush and my eyesight isn't that good right now as I'm getting cataracts. So........I either use PropBlurs propellers, or I go with another option which is the following: Buy miniature dollhouse kitchen table silverware, Cut off the blades on both prop hubs and glue the miniature knife silverware on the hubs in place of the prop blades. It would be another humorous effect to add to the overall humorous diorama display I'm creating. But the downside is that the knife props would be static and not spinning. Any thoughts?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Cliffy B

I say go with the PE PropBlurs!!!  I think they look fine and have been wanting to get some myself for a long time now.  Plus you don't get the negative space of the clear plastic because no matter how clear it is, you'll still see the circular outline and it might look rather horrid under certain lighting conditions.  The clear discs work best for 1/350 and 1/700 aircraft carrier planes in my opinion.  They seem a bit "off" on anything larger.  Go with the PE props man! She's looking good, and the display will be killer!  Hope you take this to a show when it's all done.  The reactions will be priceless  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

seadude

QuoteHope you take this to a show when it's all done.  The reactions will be priceless

Trust me. I'm counting on it!  ;D  ;D  ;D

BTW......If I do decide to buy and use the PropBlurs propellers, then which way on a B-25 do the propellers spin if I were standing in front of a B-25 looking at it? I've seen vids on YouTube where the engines on startup had both props spinning to the left, as well as the right. It seemed to vary on different restored and rebuilt aircraft in various vids.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

sequoiaranger

>which way on a B-25 do the propellers spin if I were standing in front of a B-25 looking at it?<

All American engines made the prop spin "counterclockwise" as seen from the front (exceptions being "handed" engines on P-38's, Twin Mustangs, and maybe a few others).

"Moving pictures" (videos) are actually a series of STILL pictures taken at short intervals. Just like car ads on TV that make tyres APPEAR to spin backwards (we know they aren't), it depends on the speed of the film vs. the rotational speed of the props.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

seadude

Ok, I've got two questions that I could use advice on. ;)

1.  In the first pic below, you'll see some photoshopped red and blue lines drawn on the white sponge bread pieces. These represent the "crust" that will be going around the bread pieces. The blue lines represent the crust that I'll actually add. The red lines are undecided and I'm not sure if I should add crust in those areas/sides of the bread sponge pieces due to the fact that some of those "sides" are butted up against the aircraft fuselage or another plane section and you wouldn't see the crust on those sides much anyway. Should I add crust where the red lines are or not?

2.  In the bottom pic showing a rough representation of the PBJ scene I'll be creating, I'm undecided where to put a sample "bite" in the B-25. Should I add a bite in the left wing, right wing, or somewhere else?

sequoiaranger

seadude

Caveman

I reckon no for the red "crusting" but I do like the bite mark. In the set up you have got left wing seems to be best location, maybe out of one of the stabs?
secretprojects forum migrant

seadude

A little more progress earlier this afternoon. The first pic shows an upside down glass of milk. What I did was buy a "double walled" plastic glass, then cut a hole on the bottom, then poured white paint in the hole and swished the glass around so the white paint would coat the interior between the two walls. When completed, I'm going to have the PBJ B-25 suspended over the glass of milk with the support of a straw (Metal rod or tubing inside the straw for extra support). Coated the diorama base (table) with a checkered table covering.

The second pic shows the white sponge "bread" pieces in their approximate positions (for reference purposes) and covered around the sides/edges with light tan ribbon to simulate crust on the bread pieces. After looking at this pic most of the night, I'm not sure I'm happy with the results. It doesn't seem to look like a proper flying sandwich. :(

sequoiaranger

My "Yes" was a supportive non-answer to two either-or questions.

Curious--might you have a "bite" out of the plane already (presumably from a previous attack, and to show what happens) and show the "fighter" coming in for a second attack? That is, is the final "scene" going to be the teeth clamped onto the wing, or just near? In any case, another "bite mark" would be a good thing, methinks.

>It doesn't seem to look like a proper flying sandwich<

Not just yet--just two pieces of bread. Ya gotta slather the PB and J on the exposed plastic to make it a real "sandwich".

It's coming along nicely.

tc2324

That really is one hell of a mad build.

Keep it up Seadude. :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

seadude

Back again. I need help. :(

As some are aware, I'm building a humorous PBJ B-25 diorama as explained throughout this thread. I need help concerning the small enemy aircraft I built using joke chattering teeth as shown on the left side of the following pic:

I need some sort of humorous emblem or insignia on the enemy aircraft. I only have 8 days to go before a contest and I'm having trouble finding something. The problems are the following:
1. I can't airbrush an emblem, etc. on as I don't own an airbrush.
2. My eyesight isn't that good for hand painting intricate designs.
3. Ordering stickers/decals off the Internet will take too long and they won't arrive in time before the contest.
4. I do not have the appropriate software/hardware, etc. to create custom decals with my computer, printer, etc.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Cliffy B

Do you have a Michael's or AC Moore near you?  If so, give them a spin for stickers.  I've found that they have an entire aisle of every sticker imaginable it seems for scrap booking.  You might find something that will work there.  I've also seen "Pinewood Derby" cars being sold in my local Michael's complete with all of their accessories, including decal/sticker sheets.  They should also carry a variety of dry-transfer sheets that could prove useful as well.

Is there a Hobby Town USA near you?  My local store has recently started carrying a variety of decal and dry-transfer sheets.  You have to look around though as the spread them through out the armor and aircraft kits, as well as the paint department.

One last thing, where do you live?  Someone close to you might have some spare decals they can get you.  What sort of symbol are you thinking of?  Maybe one exists on a bomber sheet or something similar?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

sequoiaranger

I think you are OK as is. The big teeth in front are eye-catching---you don't want to take away from the "theme" with "Nascar"-type blazonry.  The PBJ itself won't have insignia on it, will it?

Could this "encounter" have taken place over the "Sandwich Isles"? (old name for Hawaii). If you make a diorama base for it, you might have "obvious" Hawaiian islands underneath. But then again, the encounter is supposed to be over the Japanese Home Islands, right? Or just some fictional place?

Anyway, even if the diorama isn't 100% complete for the contest, it will be an EXHIBITION that should garner some hilarity and favorable comments!

Good luck!