The "other" PBJ B-25. Hungry yet? LOL!

Started by seadude, May 14, 2011, 03:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Quote from: Cliffy B on April 27, 2012, 07:02:39 PM
Do you have a Michael's or AC Moore near you?  If so, give them a spin for stickers.  I've found that they have an entire aisle of every sticker imaginable it seems for scrap booking.  You might find something that will work there.  I've also seen "Pinewood Derby" cars being sold in my local Michael's complete with all of their accessories, including decal/sticker sheets.  They should also carry a variety of dry-transfer sheets that could prove useful as well.

Is there a Hobby Town USA near you?  My local store has recently started carrying a variety of decal and dry-transfer sheets.  You have to look around though as the spread them through out the armor and aircraft kits, as well as the paint department.

One last thing, where do you live?  Someone close to you might have some spare decals they can get you.  What sort of symbol are you thinking of?  Maybe one exists on a bomber sheet or something similar?

I went to a JoAnns arts and crafts superstore today, and also a Michaels arts and crafts store. I checked the scrapbooking section in both stores for some sort of humorous stickers I could use. Neither store had what I wanted despite the large selections of stuff they had. The only Michaels store near me didn't even have pinewood derby car stuff either. All the stickers and decals I saw in both stores were too large to use anyway. The enemy teeth aircraft I built is 1/72 scale. All the stickers I saw were too big to fit on the wings,etc.

Quote from: sequoiaranger on April 28, 2012, 09:30:27 AM
I think you are OK as is. The big teeth in front are eye-catching---you don't want to take away from the "theme" with "Nascar"-type blazonry.  The PBJ itself won't have insignia on it, will it?

Could this "encounter" have taken place over the "Sandwich Isles"? (old name for Hawaii). If you make a diorama base for it, you might have "obvious" Hawaiian islands underneath. But then again, the encounter is supposed to be over the Japanese Home Islands, right? Or just some fictional place?

Anyway, even if the diorama isn't 100% complete for the contest, it will be an EXHIBITION that should garner some hilarity and favorable comments!

Good luck!

The whole diorama I am building is humorous. I suppose a B-25 "PBJ sandwich" would look awkward with American stars and bars insignia on the wings, and the enemy teeth aircraft is supposed to be a "secret" enemy aircraft flying up to "take a bite" out of the PBJ. So I suppose putting markings on the enemy aircraft would make it awkward as well.

Here is a "preliminary" pic of what the diorama will look like.

Everything is sitting on a wood base a friend made for me that is represented as a table with a checkered table covering over it. I've already made the fake jars of PB & J which you see on the left side. A knife will stick out of the jelly jar and the enemy aircraft will be supported on top of the knife. The PB jar will be left open on the table as is.
A plastic glass was used to create a glass of milk. The inside was painted white to simulate milk. The glass will be weighted inside to prevent it from toppling over. The straw is what will be supporting the B-25. A regular straw has a plastic tube inside it for support, with another solid brass rod inside the plastic tube for more support.
The plate will have crumbs on it, a knife that was used for the PB jar, and some B-25 "battle damage" parts on the plate.
The apple is just on the table for extra color and scenery.
The reason why the milk glass isn't "full" is because I'm going to say the B-25 was on a "milk run", hence why there is a milk jug bomb in the bomb bay and the B-25 was dropping milk jug bombs to fill up the glass with milk.  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Go4fun

With careful work you could have the 'teeth' of the secret weapon partially biting into the wing. Now I am looking for a 'bread' material too.
You may be crazy, but at least you  fit in with this lot. So do I.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Go4fun

I love it. But I like my crust on my bread a little darker. ;D

seadude

I could use some suggestions for a "backstory" for my PBJ display. What I have written so far is the following, but I'd like to add just a little more if possible. Any advice for editing, etc. is appreciated.

QuoteWhile on a supposedly routine "milk run", A freshly prepared PBJ B-25 with creamy peanut butter and grape jelly, finds itself suddenly under attack from a new enemy "fast food" secret weapon.
After the PBJ suffers vertical stabilizer damage during a "taste test" by the enemy craft, The enemy now comes in again for a "second helping" attack, launching it's arsenal of kitchen utensils to disable the PBJ's defenses before making the final biting blow.
It is readily apparent that the PBJ has bitten off more than it can chew on it's designated mission.

Go4fun

Quote from: seadude on May 12, 2012, 05:54:32 PM
I could use some suggestions for a "backstory" for my PBJ display. What I have written so far is the following, but I'd like to add just a little more if possible. Any advice for editing, etc. is appreciated.

QuoteWhile on a supposedly routine "milk run", A freshly prepared PBJ B-25 with creamy peanut butter and grape jelly, finds itself suddenly under attack from a new enemy "fast food" secret weapon code named "Jaws".
After the PBJ suffers vertical stabilizer damage during a "taste test" by the enemy craft, The enemy now comes in again for a "second helping" attack, launching it's arsenal of kitchen utensils to disable the PBJ's defenses before making the final biting blow jamming the controls.
It is readily apparent that the PBJ has bitten off more than it can chew on it's designated mission.
Just an idea.

seadude

Finished up my PBJ diorama earlier this week (But I'll still continue to take ideas for future improvements.) and entered it at a local contest today.

The rest of the contest pics can be found here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/icyhusky/Bob%20Palmer%20Model%20Show%20May%2019%202012/

seadude

P.S. - The Menu sign on the right side of the first pic says the following:

"While on a supposedly routine "milk run", A freshly prepared PBJ B-25 with peanut butter and grape jelly, suddenly finds itself in an air-to-air condiment food fight with a new enemy fast food secret weapon, codenamed "JAWS".
After the PBJ suffers vertical stabilizer damage during a taste test by the enemy craft, The enemy now comes in again for a "second helping" attack, launching it's arsenal of advanced cutting edge kitchen utensils to disable the PBJ's meager ration of defenses before making the final biting blow.
It is readily apparent that this is no ordinary "Happy Meal", For the PBJ has bitten off more than it can chew on it's designated mission."

Go4fun

I love it! If you don't come home with an award I will be disappointed... In the judges!

comrade harps

Whatever.

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

wagnersm

Looks great.

I've enjoyed the pictures as you have developed the diorama.

A suggestion, a banana pursuit rushing in to defend the PBJ?

Steve

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Cliffy B

Oh man!!!  Tell me you got an award for this please!!!  :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous