VT fuzes from a 5" shell being used on Zuni-style rockets?

Started by icchan, May 18, 2011, 10:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icchan

Okay, a bit of a weird set of questions, but it's related to some ideas I've been kicking around for a very alternate timeline that didn't have the advances in guided missiles that we did here in the late 1950s/early 1960s.  (Not that we had much going for things like the AIM-4, but Sidewinder was pretty good.  I digress.)  So I was thinking on other options, playing around with the old ideas of rocket packs as bomber interceptors...and I admit the general idea of a monster shotgun of rippled 2.75s is cool, the idea hit me.  Zunis are pretty quick, and accurate, and have a good-sized warhead compared to the 2.75" rounds.  And at 5 inches, they could potentially fit the radio-based VT fuse of a 5"/38 AA shell, or at least one based on it.

The fun part is, with all the love fighter-bombers got for the era, you could use the same launcher system and rocket motors (with warhead/fuse changes, obviously) across the board for both ground-attack and anti-aircraft, at least against bombers and subsonic aircraft.  Say proper radar guidance hasn't matured, and is still dealing with a lot of troubles with ECM perhaps.

So obviously there's a problem with the idea of just lobbing a bunch in one pull, since they'd get returns off each other when the first one arms and risk sympathetic detonation.  But if it had like, say a delay of a half-second each, and fired in a "stream" with enough separation, would this be workable?  Effective at all?  Or should I just load up on 2.75" contact rockets and make good close passes?

Weaver

Sounds good to me, particularly if the Zuni had more range than the FFAR? IIRC, interceptor pilots wern't too impressed by how close they had to get to score a hit with the latter, and there were several training near misses involving fighters and bombers and scary closing velocities.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones