Airbus Military/EADS A319 MPA

Started by Hobbes, May 19, 2011, 02:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Initially you'd have to keep the plane level using the elevators. You could keep doing that indefinitely, but you don't want the extra drag. A fuel transfer balances the plane so you can fly level without deflecting the elevators.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on May 22, 2011, 02:49:31 AM
How fast can that be done to accommodate the sudden C-of-G shift?

A Mk 46 torp weighs around 500 lbs, that's equivalent to around 74 US gallons. A 75 gpm pump is well within the realms of possibility on board an aircraft, tankers can transfer fuel at 1000 gpm or more, and that rate you could move a Mk 46s worth in 4.5 secs.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Progress: the fuselage is together, and I'm adding the radome under the nose. The plastic disk will be covered with Milliput, I'm using the disk as a guide for the final shape.

Hobbes

The radome is covered and ready, and I've drilled some holes for the sonobuoy launchers.

Captain Canada

Wow...that looks awesome ! I've always loved the look of the 319, even more so in military guise !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 22, 2011, 12:32:34 PM
A Mk 46 torp weighs around 500 lbs, that's equivalent to around 74 US gallons.

A bit off there mate --
A US Gallon weighs 6.073 lbs which would make it 82.33 US Gallons
An Imperial Gallon weighs 7.29 lbs which would make it 68.59 Imp' Gallons
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on June 25, 2011, 06:51:22 AM
The radome is covered and ready,

I like what you've done to the radome Harro, I've been thinking I need to do something like that to my Atlantic

Robert

GTX

Just one question:  Have you confirmed the sonobuoy launcher arrangement?  I ask since I suspect it is actually proposed to have twin rotary launchers somewhat similar to those for the P-8.  Although I have been unable to confirm this to be the case, the following picture from EADS seems to confirm this (the 2 yellow circles at the extreme end being the actual launchers):

It is also backed up by this image which although not showing any launch ports, certainly doesn't show a whole bank as you have done.

I hope you appreciate this is only raised to aid in your work.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

But what's those four holes for just behind the wing root Greg ?

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 25, 2011, 12:56:56 PM
But what's those four holes for just behind the wing root Greg ?

Not the sonobuoy launchers (based upon available public domain information).  As far as I can tell, they would be for the Decoy Dispenser - see below:

Regards,

Greg

Hobbes

Interesting pictures Greg. Those show more info than I had.

I've been going mostly by this page. For the sonobuoys I used the ideas from this thread and took a guess that the 319 would use a mixed system with a couple of rotary launchers (3 or 4), plus some manual tubes.

GTX

Try downloading this:  http://www.c295.ca/wp-content/uploads/A319_MPA_pocket-guide.pdf?10615

It gives a bit more info.

As far as the sonobuoy launchers go, I think these days, it is preferred to go with the rotary launchers as it gives greater flexibility.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on June 25, 2011, 01:33:25 PM
took a guess that the 319 would use a mixed system with a couple of rotary launchers (3 or 4), plus some manual tubes.

I don't think the manual tubes would give any advantage.  Realistically, the rotary magazines would be preloaded before the mission which would give you enough instant capacity (and effectively equal what the simple pre-loaded tubes would offer - after all it's not like all the tubes are fired in one salvo).

Regards,

Greg

Hobbes

Well, I was thinking to have rotary launchers for the standard buoy types, and some manual tubes for launching the special items.

Thanks for the link, that'll be useful.

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on June 25, 2011, 02:01:48 PM
some manual tubes for launching the special items.

In that case, you could probably get by with some simple tubes (not pre-loaded kind) - here's what a P-3C has:

I think you could probably get by with 2 at most really.  IIRC the P-3C had more because it was a backup if the pre-loaded system totally failed (i.e. you would have guys 'shovelling' the sonobouys out the manual tubes).

Regards,

Greg